Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Astro A40 and Xbox One

Exclamation Astro A40 and Xbox One

So, I have been reading in the hands on reviews today that the Xbox One does not output the required audio from the Optical Out to give 7.1/5.1 audio.

This is obviously a massive problem as the Astro A40's I have with the mixamp rely on this to give me the surround sound in games, this is effectively making my headset a stereo one.

I note on the features page for the headsets you have the below:

XBOX ONE COMPATIBILITY

Our headsets will all deliver Dolby® Digital GAME AUDIO on the Xbox One, just like they do for the Xbox 360. However, the chat connector on the controller is now a proprietary connector, meaning that our current products will require an adapter to connect to the controller for Xbox Live voice chat. Fortunately, until this chat adapter is available, the built-in Kinect microphone will provide full voice communication access to Xbox Live while using ASTRO headsets on the Xbox One.
    PS4 COMPATIBILITY

ASTRO headsets are fully compatible with PS4 once the Firmware 1.50 update has been applied to the console. Our headsets will deliver Dolby® Digital 5.1 and 7.1 game audio and full voice chat functionality over the PlayStation Network.
    So I take it this confirms the bad news that Xbox One will not supply 7.1/5.1.

Could you confirm this?

Default concerned as well

Astro, please note that your A40 was called out multiple times as not being supported in the Kotaku review...this is distressing. Please let us know any information you have about this...specifically if you have been in touch with Microsoft to confirm that the Dolby output setting will be added to the Xbox One's optical output.

If this is not the case, please advise on what our alternative is? Would you be selling existing owners a new mixamp?

Is there an alternative that will allow us to get Dolby surround from our Mixamp?

Thanks!

A concerned Astro A40 owner....

EDIT: Here is the quote in question from the Kotaku review of the Xbox One:

"Or take my peculiar AV setup: I like to play games and watch movies with an Astro surround-sound headset, which decodes Dolby 5.1 audio from an optical input cable. However, the Xbox One is currently only able to output stereo and DTS Digital through its optical output. My headphone receiver can't read DTS Digital, so I have to output in stereo, and my surround headphones turn into regular old headphones. I've been asking Microsoft for the last week if they intend to add Dolby output to the optical audio port in the near future (it's an option for HDMI output), but haven't gotten a solid answer on whether a fix is coming."
    Last edited by burtbollinger; 11-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Hi burtbollinger,

I have passed this on to our team for review as it's the first we have heard of it from the Kotaku review and will let you guys know what the outcome is.

- Mitchell

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |

Think what I would be more worried about is the fact that both have been carefully worded. Notice how the word 5.1 and 7.1 is missing from the X1 statement. Looking back now it’s obvious that Astro was aware of this problem but didn’t notify us customers of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CheGnuvara View Post
    Think what I would be more worried about is the fact that both have been carefully worded. Notice how the word 5.1 and 7.1 is missing from the X1 statement. Looking back now it’s obvious that Astro was aware of this problem but didn’t notify us customers of this.
    I don't know, they did say it would output Dolby Digital, which it is apparently not doing at all on the Xbox One.

I am glad we at least have a mainstream reviewer of the Xbox One pestering MS about this. Hopefully this is something they can easily patch in and it's not some crazy hardware limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo View Post
    Hi burtbollinger,

I have passed this on to our team for review as it's the first we have heard of it from the Kotaku review and will let you guys know what the outcome is.

- Mitchell
    Also, there is another note posted on 11-1-13 in the forums:

News from Sony and Microsoft.

Here at ASTRO we are getting excited for the release of both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 later this month. We want to make sure that you are informed about how our products will function with each next-gen console. Both Sony and Microsoft made big announcements this month related to game audio and online voice chat – here's what it means for our current and future users.

PlayStation 4: Sony released a PS4 FAQ and notes for the 1.50 firmware update available on Launch Day. Included is the announcement that USB headsets will be fully functional on PS4 after applying the 1.50 firmware update. This means that ASTRO users will be able to experience Dolby® Digital 7.1 Surround Sound and utilize online voice chat with our A30, A40, and A50 product lines. It also means that the ASTRO A50 headset will be one of the only fully wireless solutions for PS4 (an other being the ASTRO-designed Skullcandy Gaming PLYR1).

Xbox One: Earlier this month Microsoft announced that the chat adapter required to make all existing Xbox 360 headsets Xbox One compatible will not be released until early 2014. This means that all current ASTRO products will be able to take full advantage of Dolby® Digital 7.1 Surround Sound for game audio, movies, and music, but online voice chat will not function until the chat adapter releases in early 2014. While not ideal, the Kinect mic or Xbox Live Communicator can be used to broadcast your voice online in conjunction with ASTRO products in the interim. ASTRO is a licensed Xbox One partner and we are working with Microsoft on improved solutions for release in 2014.

The ASTRO Crew is looking forward to being a part of your next gen experience, and all of the excitement both the PS4 and Xbox One bring to the gaming industry. We will continue to provide you with updates as often as we can.

T.

Astro, thank you for responding quickly and looking into this matter. As this is a large and impactful issue, I trust that your team will make finding an answer to this issue its highest priority.

Especially when your product and the one I have been so proud to own has been called out so dramatically as not being supported by a leading, highly visible publication. (Kotaku)

While I appreciate your quick response, I must admit that I find it slightly disconcerting that Astro is only becoming aware of this NOW. Can this truly be the case? As it now stands, all indications are that the Astro A40 headset and Mixamp will NOT function as intended...leaving users stuck with simple stereo vs. surround sound.

Clearly, this goes directly against information Astro posted earlier stating that 'our current Astro products would be able to take "full advantage of Dolby Digital Surround sound."'

I find that it is acceptable to wait until early 2014 for the headset adaptor, but this apparent NEW information about a lack of Dolby Digital surround sound (5.1 in my case) is very distressing indeed for myself and other Astro owners.

As an aside, I surely others are curious to know how Astro could not know that the Xbox One does not offer Dolby out via TOSlink optical? Did MS not provide final system specs for you and your team?

Also, is it really realistic for the Xbox One to update this output to allow Dolby Digital or are we looking at having to replace our our Mixamp hardware with something new?

Thanks again for looking into this matter. I find the Astro A40 to be the best gaming headset on the market, and I look forward to using as it was intended on the new Xbox One.

All the best,

burtbollinger

PS: I'd also ask that if the news is bad, that you let us know now rather than wait or promise vague fixes in the future...if the solution turns out to be that a NEW redesigned Mixamp is required for the Xbox One to output Surround, then please let us know. I'd prefer to know now rather than hold out false hope. While this is jumping the gun, if this is in fact the case, perhaps consider allowing Astro/Xbox One (with proof of purchase) owners to return and receive a new Mixamp at a reduced cost.
    Last edited by burtbollinger; 11-20-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Thank you Astro for looking into this with MS.

I have my fingers crossed this cam be sorted out.

I know exactly how you feel burtbollinger, I feel the same too. the fact we've been told you can use the Astro system with the XB1, but now it appears we cannot as you cannot get the required signal out via Optical out to make the system work.

Quote Originally Posted by kruderand View Post
    I am glad we at least have a mainstream reviewer of the Xbox One pestering MS about this. Hopefully this is something they can easily patch in and it's not some crazy hardware limitation.
    Let's hope we get also get Astro and others pestering MS about this...and that it is something that can easily be fixed. I've been looking forward to Surround Sound on my A40s with Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One for a long time now. Funny to hear that BF4 has been not working, and now this.

Oh the pains of the early adopter...someday I'll learn.