Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astro a50 has no sound on PC

Default Astro a50 has no sound on PC

Hi all,

I just received my Astro a50 in the mail this morning, but I'm having troubles getting it to work. I mainly want to use it on the pc, but I just can't get any sound out of it. I paired my mixamp with the headset and connected the mixamp via the optical cable. Note that I don't have a dedicated sound card but only have a onboard sound card.

I think I did everything right, but I just can't get any sound out of it. THe mic is working fine, and when I select the SPDIF as my default device and play something, I can actually see that it's receiving a signal, but I only get a buzzing in the headset itself. (as you can see below)

http://i.imgur.com/fj80vPA.jpg

I also set up the device correctly if I'm correct.

http://i.imgur.com/KGV9liN.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/PhPKrF4.jpg

I don't know if it might be of help, but these are the audio devices I see in the device manager.

http://i.imgur.com/99zrEUK.jpg

I tried it on my PS3 using the audio cable, and that works perfectly. But on my pc I only get this buzzing and no sound. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

*edit: I forgot to mention that it also works when using the USB port. But since optical is still the best I'd rather use that.
    Last edited by Lender; 08-26-2013 at 05:11 AM.

And for some reason my voice/game balancer has switched around now. WHen I used to hold in the game side my volume would get louder, but now it's the other way around and pressing the voice side takes the volume up. (using the USB)

I'm getting desperate.

Hi Lender,

Do you know what motherboard is being used in your computer? It might not support Dolby Digital technology resulting in buzzing.

Regarding your mixer.

Where you can set the default devices, could you ensure that your optical output is set as the Default Device and your ASTRO equipment is set as the default communications device. That should ensure that audio is sent to the game side of your mixer and voice communications audio such as voice chat is sent to the voice side of your mixer.

- Mitchell

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo View Post
    Hi Lender,

Do you know what motherboard is being used in your computer? It might not support Dolby Digital technology resulting in buzzing.

Regarding your mixer.

Where you can set the default devices, could you ensure that your optical output is set as the Default Device and your ASTRO equipment is set as the default communications device. That should ensure that audio is sent to the game side of your mixer and voice communications audio such as voice chat is sent to the voice side of your mixer.

- Mitchell
    The motherboard i'm using is the Asus m3a78. I updated my audio drivers, resulting in new names for my devices in the sound menu. I tried searching to find if it supports the Dolby digital tech but I couldn't find anything. I don't know if you know how I can look it up?

http://i.imgur.com/qFwlNav.jpg

Except for the name change the driver update had no significant influence.

As for the mixer, I just read that it's normal that you cant use the eq and game/voice balance when using just the usb port.

Btw, I also read this in a topic from someone who has/had the same problem.

Can you make sure that the optical cable is connected to the optical input of the A50 Transmitter and also make sure that there is a red light showing on the end of the optical cable that connects to the transmitter.
    May I ask what you mean by 'red light showing on the end of the optical cable that connects to the transmitter.'? Cause I don't see anything in particular.

http://i.imgur.com/3yGMtZd.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2oqscds.jpg
    Last edited by Lender; 08-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.

If it turns out that my onboard soundcard doesn't support DDL I'm thinking of buying this card. i suppose this will certainly work with the a50?

https://prod.codima.be/nl/catalog/on...yaa060-1uan0bz

(site is in dutch, but the description is in english.)

Okay, this is weird. I just joined my teamspeak server, and the headset does seem to work (as in hearing my friends speak through the headphones) when I have the optical output selected in my sound settings as the default device and the transmitter as main voice communication... But other stuff like music and games don't have any sound. So does this main my onboard sound card does support DDL? And if so, why do my other stuff like games

note: I only hear my TS through my headphones when switching to voice balance. When going to the game balance I don't hear anything, but I suppose this is normal?
    Last edited by Lender; 08-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Hi Lender,

The voice side of your A50 Wireless Headset is a standalone speaker and microphone in Windows and does not rely on Dolby Digital or your motherboard to provide audio. Unfortunately you will be unable to receive audio to the game side until you connect to a sound card with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Live support.

The ASUS Xonar DX support an optical output and Dolby Digital Live support so it should work fine and provide your A50 Wireless System with a surround sound signal from your games.

Just to test that your A50 Wireless System is functioning as intended, could you try connecting the optical cable to another source device such as an Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-Ray/DVD Player or a Cable/Satellite Box. The audio should be presented through the game side of your mixer as an indication that your ASTRO equipment is working correctly.

- Mitchell

Open A Support Case |

I suspected as much.

The headset works fine by the way. I tested it on my ps3 with the optical cable and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna go get that sound card tomorrow as I suspect it is indeed my onboard sound card which does not support DDL.

Hi Lender,

Of course! Apologies, it slipped my mind that you tested it on your PS3.

In that case, a new sound card such as the ASUS Xonar DX should provide a signal to your A50 Wireless Headset without any interruptions. I will keep an eye on this thread so if you do run into any setup issues, please let me know and we can run through some troubleshooting.

Hopefully it should be as simple as connecting and gaming

- Mitchell

Open A Support Case |