Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Thread: Astro A40 Wireless: Connecting MIC to Sound Blaster Z (wireless)

Default Astro A40 Wireless: Connecting MIC to Sound Blaster Z (wireless)

I recently bought these headsets and they are quite nice however people noticed a drop in quality of the Microphone and I wish to pass it through the Sound Blaster Z to get it running with Crystal Voice etc, however I dont wish to loose the wireless functionality. So is there some cable setup I can perform to the 5.8 TX box to connect it to the SB-Z without the need to use the USB method for microphone?

Hi Riddick,

You will need to use the PS3/PC Chat Cable to take the microphone from the MixAmp 5.8 to your computer. This will also enable the mixer to function correctly.

- Mitchell

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |

Not sure if I understand sorry. You saying I must connect my headphone directly into my PC via cable?

I do not know what cables are what to be honest. In the back of the TX it has a Aux In, I currently have this going to USB, however I have a cable that looks like it could go direct to the sound card mic in port. Would this be fair to assume it doesn't need to goto USB but can goto a normal mic point as well with this cable?
    Last edited by Riddick; 08-06-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Maybe I need to rephrase my question:

How do I connect my PC MIC In port to my Wireless 5.8 TX box? I do NOT want to use USB for microphone as its POOR!

I found this however my TX only has Aux In point ?!?

Connecting with the 3.5mm cable

As an alternative to the preferred USB connection, on the rear of the MixAmp™ you’ll find a PC MIC output, which can be
    used to pass your microphone output signal to your computer via an analog connection. If you have USB voice recording
    enabled, you don’t need to use this port.

To use this connection, plug the 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable from this output to your PC’s LINE-IN jack. This is usually indicated
    with a line-in (arrow) icon, or a blue 3.5mm jack.

(Really) Important: Set the voice input in your audio or VoIP software to recognize the LINE-IN port as your incoming voice signal. The ASTRO MixAmp™ outputs a full strength “line level” signal, and if it connected to the microphone input, your computer will amplify the signal much more than necessary, causing static and interference. If your computer doesn’t have a “Line In” connection, use the Microphone port, and set the incoming voice level to a low setting and be certain that ‘+20dB Boost’ is set to OFF (unchecked).

When using Voice Over IP (VoIP) software in this configuration, you will not be able to adjust the voice/game
    balance using the BALANCE dial. Voice communication software and game sounds are mixed together at your PC
    -- make any adjustments within your software. The BALANCE dial mixes game sound with voice communication coming into either the USB port or the Daisy-chain connector only.

(Also sort of) Important: If you are using a non-ASTRO headset, be sure to use the optional Dual Jack-to-3.5mm
    4-pole Adapter to integrate the microphone function of your headset with the MixAmp™. Otherwise, your headset will function normally, but without the microphone feature.
    Last edited by Riddick; 08-06-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Hi Riddick,

I completely understood your question. Sorry if you did not understand my answer correctly. I will also rephrase it below for you.

The only way to deliver the microphone from your MixAmp 5.8 to the PC is by using the PC/PS3 Chat Cable as pictured below. It's not possible to connect the MixAmp 5.8 directly to the microphone input on your computer's sound card. The MixAmp 5.8 does use noise-cancellation to filter out ambient noise although it shouldn't degrade the quality of your microphone as I used to have my MixAmp 5.8 connected to both my computer and PS3 a couple of years ago and it sounded fine.

It's possible that it could be an issue with your MixAmp 5.8, PS3/PC Chat Cable or A40 Headset. Have you tried connecting the A40 Headset directly to your computer to see how the microphone sounds?

- Mitchell
    Attached Images Attached Images

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |