Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humming when AUX is plugged into A50 MixAmp

Question Humming when AUX is plugged into A50 MixAmp [TEMP FIX FOUND]

Hi, I just purchased the Astro a50's and I love them! There's only one issue I have and that would be a humming whenever I use the aux input on the mixamp.

My setup is Optical cable in mixamp from ps3 (mixamp is powered by ps3) and then 3.5 cable into aux port from my phone/bluetooth receiver/turtle beach.

But no matter what I plug it into, there's an annoying buzzing humming noise.

I have tried several different aux cables.

Any help on resolving this issue? If not I really think I will return these as this one small feature is important to me.

Thanks!

TEMPORARY FIX:

I have encountered an intriguing temporary solution.

I spent all day thinking about the hum and why it was happening. I decided to try charging my phone with the MaxAmp's USB and to my surprise the humming stopped immediately. No humming at all.

I tested this theory again by powering my BlueTooth receiver with the Mixamp and I had the same results! I quickly disconnected the solution because the mixamp put out 500mA and the reciever required 1000mA.

I went even further and stuck a spliced open USB into the MixAmp and just grabbed the positive wire and this cut the hum by 80%-90%, the same with the negative.

I found my results very interesting.
    Last edited by Kietur; 06-26-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Hi Kietur,

When you say phone/bluetooth/turtle beach equipment? Is this one product in total? Have you tried connecting to another device to see if the humming is still occuring?

- Mitchell

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo View Post
    Hi Kietur,

When you say phone/bluetooth/turtle beach equipment? Is this one product in total? Have you tried connecting to another device to see if the humming is still occuring?

- Mitchell
    These are separate devices that I've plugged the aux cable into. Each has a different loudness of humming.

I also have this problem:

All my devices are hdmi to my TV and my TV's optical out goes to my Astro Transmitter Opt in, Astro Transmitter optical out goes to sound bar and this all works fine. Now I have switched this around and it is a problem both ways: USB power and chat cable to PC/PS3 and the Aux to PC/PS3 so I can use the chat feature with all three platforms (360,PS3,PC).

No matter what I plug the Aux cable into, i get a static hum which is highly annoying.

the only way I have gotten around this is splitting the usb power out to two both sources using a USB splitter. Id like a real fix to be able to use the Astro Aux cable I bought though.

Hi Kietur and Kassidy,

Are you 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables gold plated or shielded? Have you also tried placing a ferrite choke around the end that goes into the A50 Wireless Headset to see if it will reduce this humming/interference?

- Mitchell

Open A Support Case |

I was actually just about to go buy a ferrite choke but mine are gold plated, not sure if they're properly shielded. It seams as if they aren't because I can coil the aux cord up and place it under my phone and the hum will disappear.

Can you explain your temporary fix to me a bit better? Because I'll do anything to get rid of the hum. Thanks!

Hi Kietur,

It might be worthwhile heading to your local store or searching the internet for a higher quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable. At the same time, placing a ferrite choke won't hurt it and would also be worth the shot to reduce or resolve the humming issue. Unfortunately, that's all I can suggest as it doesn't appear to be an direct issue with our equipment.

- Mitchell

Open A Support Case |

The Aux Cable I am using is the one from Astro which goes from 3.5 to USB which was intended to allow the A40s to use PS3 chat. Should I not be using this cord? http://www.amazon.com/New-ASTRO-Gami...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Quote Originally Posted by Kietur View Post
    Can you explain your temporary fix to me a bit better? Because I'll do anything to get rid of the hum. Thanks!
    I am using a USB sharing switch: Astro power usb plugs into one end of the switch, on the other side 2 usbs out, 1 to PC and one to PS3. When I want switch between I just hit a button.
    Last edited by Kassidy; 06-26-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I have tried the choke and I think it made matters worse.

I believe this is an issue within the Mixamp design and there is some ungrounded circuitry or something that is letting excess energy generate the noise. Or the mixamp doesn't know how to fully handle the direct input of aux.

So far nothing has worked and turning up the game volume to overpower the hum turns up the hum as well.

That being said, it would have to be a source issue. I believe any powered source causes the hum. Simply touching the other end of the aux cable generates a louder hum.