Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Thread: AstroMixamp possibly shorted out my headset?

Default AstroMixamp possibly shorted out my headset?

I bought a Turtle Beach X12 headset a couple months ago and I was using it with the AstroMixamp. But one day it started making a high pitched noise and just stopped working all together. I thought it was my mixamp, but I tried other headsets with the MixAmp and they worked out fine. So I was wondering, I have my MixAmp powered by my laptop which always has the charger plugged in. Then I had my Turtle Beaches plugged into my laptop also because it's USB powered. So do you think that there was too much voltage going to the headset which caused them to short out? Should I just power my mixamp and turtle beach headset from two different sources? I'm almost certain that there was too much voltage circulating. What do you think?

Hi TrueElement,

I would say there's a higher chance that your laptop has damaged the Turtle Beach headset over the MixAmp. Personally, I don't feel that the power sent through the 3.5mm cable is powerful enough to do damage although anything is possible with electronics I suppose. Do you have a surge protector connected to your laptop?

- Mitchell

ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo View Post
    Hi TrueElement,

I would say there's a higher chance that your laptop has damaged the Turtle Beach headset over the MixAmp. Personally, I don't feel that the power sent through the 3.5mm cable is powerful enough to do damage although anything is possible with electronics I suppose. Do you have a surge protector connected to your laptop?

- Mitchell
    Yes, I do have a surge protector connected to my laptop. I'm beginning to think that maybe my pair of TB's were defected or something. I'm not blaming the mixamp sorry if it sounds that way. I just want to make sure that since the TB headset is powered and the mixamp is powered, that those two factors wont damage the headset.