Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are my PC Settings correct? >> Astro A40 2013 Edition & Xonar Essence STX

Default Are my PC Settings correct? >> Astro A40 2013 Edition & Xonar Essence STX

The setup on the hardware is:

Xonar Essence STX > S/PDIF > MixAmp Pro > Headphones

My windows 7 settings are: http://imgur.com/FvDGs (Should I use the "S/PDIF Pass-through device" instead of speakers?)

My sound card settings: http://imgur.com/nX4Rx,myNmU (Should I have "7.1 Virtual speaker shifter" enabled?)

Sound is coming through the headphones, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the full potential out of these headphones.

Thanks to anyone for helping!
    Last edited by BioSpark; 12-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.

I feel like a lot of people might like to know this info if someone can answer it. BUMP

If I understand correctly, the 7.1 virtual shifter moves 2 of the 7 channels back to fill in the extra "zones" and is more like a 5.1 playing through 7.1. so its not a atrue 7.1 system but 5.1 utilizing all zones to "simulate" the 7.1 coverage as far as listening zones.

the pass through device if im understanding should be set to no, but I could be wrong. The pass through I think has something to do with having an audio setup like the mixamp and then a separate audio system ( like a speaker system) hooked through as your main receiver. it bypasses one to get to the other. I could be way off or maybe someone else can try to explain them better.

See that's my problem though. When I don't have the shifter enabled, it sounds like both my rear and side sounds are coming from the same location. With the shifter on, I can hear it coming from two distinct locations.

Hey BioSpark,

I just figured a lot of this stuff out and posted in my original thread on the forums just a few minutes ago - but saw your post and figured I'd copy and paste my findings here for you as well. I don't have the same card as you - but it's a good general understanding of how the Astro's process sound and how to get the best results.

"As I understand it, TOSLINK Optical only has enough bandwidth to carry Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (not 7.1). The Astro MixAmp utilizes Dolby Pro Logic hardware which enables the mixamp to create two extra channels virtually, on the fly, for simulated 7.1 Surround Sound. If you are using TOSLINK Optical out (with DDL) as your output method, then you are literally bypassing your sound card, turning it into a passthrough device. No matter what type of sound card you have, there will be almost NO difference (minus the EQ settings each company hosts) in sound quality when using your headphones through the Mixamp. The only time you WILL hear a difference in audio quality (between expensive and cheap sound cards) is by plugging headphones/speakers directly into your sound card (bypassing the mixamp completely) and playing audio that way.

In other words, if you're using Astro A40s/50s - you live in a world of 5.1. Your card outputs 5.1, you should set your computer and game settings to 5.1 - and then let the Mixamp do the rest (upscale to 7.1 on its own). And no, theres no real way to make sure 7.1 is 'on'. The Mixamp is just doing it as it goes."
    Last edited by Valfrost; 12-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.

That seems to make sense, thank you.
    Last edited by BioSpark; 12-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.

I have the same set up...do you get an echo type of effect on yours? When I have it on pcm i dont have any more echo but when I have it set to dd live it gets all echoish/sewer sounding. It really sucks :/ any ideas why im having this issue?

Speakers are set to default.

Audio control is set to
    6channel

SPDIF out dd live

ive changed all the settings, all channels, 7.1 shifter. Nothing!

i noticed tho when I had dd live on, my music sounded fine but when id go on youtube and heard the same track it was all echoish also games. Im soooo annoyed :/ any ideas whats going on?

I have the same problem!
    (echoish/sewer sounding ingame, but not with music on my computer)

If somebody knows a solution, please answer.

Or were you able to fix this problem, Magnavox?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnavox View Post
    I have the same set up...do you get an echo type of effect on yours? When I have it on pcm i dont have any more echo but when I have it set to dd live it gets all echoish/sewer sounding. It really sucks :/ any ideas why im having this issue?

Speakers are set to default.

Audio control is set to
    6channel

SPDIF out dd live

ive changed all the settings, all channels, 7.1 shifter. Nothing!

i noticed tho when I had dd live on, my music sounded fine but when id go on youtube and heard the same track it was all echoish also games. Im soooo annoyed :/ any ideas whats going on?

Quote Originally Posted by spampostingYT View Post
    I have the same problem!
    (echoish/sewer sounding ingame, but not with music on my computer)

If somebody knows a solution, please answer.

Or were you able to fix this problem, Magnavox?
    Bumping. Same issue with my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by lookinoji View Post
    Bumping. Same issue with my setup.
    I just went ahead and sent my back. (I had ordered from Newegg.)