"Thanks for the email and your continued patience. We are currently testing a second firmware update and will be releasing it in a week or two and should address the issue you have encountered. If you are interested we can place you on a waitlist, so as soon as the update comes available, you will be the first to know.
Originally Posted by T2datizzang
Also, if you would like to return the headset for a refund at any time let me know, and keep in mind that we will let you extend your 30 day return policy until after the firmware update is made available."
that is what my support agent just told me today...so they will extend the 30 day return until after the second firmware...what i dont get is will there be another 30 days AFTER the firmware (which is the most logical thing to do) or will they find a loophole so that if our 30 day return has already ran out we get another day after the firmware release and not another 30 days. maybe i should just get a refund? ill see what he tells me tomorrow and go from there. i hope this answers your question although its still a bit vague.
Sounds to me as if the 30 day return policy will take effect the moment the firmware update is released. You'll have that 30 days to test it and make a decision.
Originally Posted by Givenbig Al
Sorry but in the industry PC is still slang for computers running Windows. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt that they are inferring 'oh yeah some people have windows on their mac's' when they say Macintosh compatible on all three downloads. Sure some folks dual boot or run a vm, I have a Win7 install with VMware Fusion on my MBPr but that is still a ridiculous assumption.
Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo
The much more believable and obvious reason is that someone copied and pasted when writing that page in a hurry, and didn't modify the text to take out the mac part and to add the 64bit title to the last download option. Webmaster asleep on the job? Speaking of webmaster, oh hey your paypal option to buy the warranty is still broken too.
Sure why not, THIRD time's a charm eh???
Originally Posted by ASTRO refraxion
As far as there being 2 32-bit links: They said there is not a 64-bit version as of yet, so it seems to just be a placeholder. The 32-bit version works fine on 64-bit Windows, though (I used it myself). As far as it saying Macintosh, that is clearly just an oversight lol. Someone didn't proofread.
Originally Posted by nomadnomad7
May I ask, how are you to "restart" your a50's? If when installing your firmware it freezes at 85%?
Hold the power button down until it turns off, then use the power button to turn it back on.
Originally Posted by NateTheillest
I ordered my '330' CAD dollar A50s July 24th, received them August 2nd. Today is the 5th, had a very minor storm roll over, and had a 2 minute brownout, now my headset is NOT working! The mix-amp surround sound button is no longer coming on! I did the trouble shooting BASIC *^&% to no avail! The 'Firmware' bs is stuck on 'Plug in headset' page and no where can I find support on this matter!.. 300 dollars for a product that fails during a MINOR storm... REALLLLLYYYY I defaulted the headset in sound / settings etc etc.. I see the bar rise and fall as if sound is going through it nothing is MUTED.
I would recommend contacting the support team about what has happened to see if they can give you any troubleshooting. If an electrical surge has fried your MixAmp then I'm not exactly sure what to say as the warranty does not cover damage caused by lightning or power surges.
Support links can be found underneath this post or by selecting support at the top of the forum.
If the headset/mixamp for 300 dollars fried over this tiny pathetic storm yet everything else connected to my surge protector didn't.. this 300 dollar Mix Amp is total waste of my time and money spent.. not recommended. Sent a ticket.