Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: A40 Vs A50?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default A40 Vs A50?

    Hello someone may recognize me as the one who posted earlier this month about weather or not I should buy the A40's. Shortly after the A50's were announced, and I was even more syked. I plan on buying them when they came out, but recent purchases have made me learn to wait. I am now seeing a lot of problems with "mics" some comments even saying the headset is faulty. To the point, I wanted to ask, to whoever has owned both the A40's and A50 headsets. And possibly play more or less on PC then console - Which do you perfer for Sound/Mic? Again, I know currently the Microphone is having issues.

    Thanks very much.

    Edit: Also noticed, the A40's seem to have a frequency reponse of 15hz - 28,000Khz. The A50's have 20Hz-20,000Khz. I'm not to bright in those areas. Anyone care to explain which actually is better?
    Last edited by Orgasma; 07-31-2012 at 03:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    93

    Default

    The A40s seem to be a better choice for a PC gamer although the A50s feel much nicer. They seem to weigh less and also have a significant amount of added padding for long gaming sessions. No one can really attest to which one is better yet since the A50s aren't fixed yet so it's not fair to compare each headset against the other.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks for the response. I'm assuming the A40's would be a better choice for PC do to it being wired? Can the A50s have full support of the mixamp on PC? And is there any blu-tooth connectivity I would need to setup? I do play on Xbox from time to time (Though losing interest since I've been on live since 03.) In terms of Sound quality which are you liking more so far?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orgasma View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'm assuming the A40's would be a better choice for PC do to it being wired? Can the A50s have full support of the mixamp on PC? And is there any blu-tooth connectivity I would need to setup? I do play on Xbox from time to time (Though losing interest since I've been on live since 03.) In terms of Sound quality which are you liking more so far?
    I feel that the Astro a50 sound quality is better especially with the New built in EQ also the wireless is very nice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RejectedClown View Post
    I feel that the Astro a50 sound quality is better especially with the New built in EQ also the wireless is very nice
    Thanks for the reply. Have you tried to use these on PC at all, or are you 100% console orientated?

    Also to anyone else viewing, has anyone tried the Astros Mixamp + PC 360 headset from sennheiser vs the A40/A50? I hear its much better then the A40's, but I feel as its just from someone without experience with both headsets. Last question: Can anyone without trying to be biased, tell me what would make an Astro headset a better purchase then say Turtle beach xp500s? (Not trying to start a war lol).

    Anyone else who wants to chime in about my previous questions please do so

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Apologize for bumping this thread.

    Edit: Also noticed, the A40's seem to have a frequency reponse of 15hz - 28,000Khz. The A50's have 20Hz-20,000Khz. I'm not to bright in those areas. Anyone care to explain which actually is better?
    Can anyone explain this to me? And any PC users who have used both A40s and A50s care to comment about which one is noticeably better in Sound?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    16,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orgasma View Post
    Apologize for bumping this thread.



    Can anyone explain this to me? And any PC users who have used both A40s and A50s care to comment about which one is noticeably better in Sound?
    I couldn't tell you why the A50 has a lower frequency response as I don't have that information. I would recommend contacting the support team as they can tell you and also answer majority of other technical questions about the A50 Headset that you might have as well.

    - Mitchell

    ASTRO Gaming Forum Moderator
    Open A Support Case |
    ASTRO Gaming US/UK Support | ASTRO Gaming France Support |
    Contact Me | Send me a private message | Send me an email |


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Vertigo View Post
    I couldn't tell you why the A50 has a lower frequency response as I don't have that information. I would recommend contacting the support team as they can tell you and also answer majority of other technical questions about the A50 Headset that you might have as well.

    - Mitchell

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have gone down to Best Buy and purchased the A40s, as I've come to the conclusion (Finally.) That the A40s fits my setup much better then the A50s. Been playing some Halo for awhile and absolutely love them. Going to try them out on PC soon, see how they are there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orgasma View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Have you tried to use these on PC at all, or are you 100% console orientated?

    Also to anyone else viewing, has anyone tried the Astros Mixamp + PC 360 headset from sennheiser vs the A40/A50? I hear its much better then the A40's, but I feel as its just from someone without experience with both headsets. Last question: Can anyone without trying to be biased, tell me what would make an Astro headset a better purchase then say Turtle beach xp500s? (Not trying to start a war lol).

    Anyone else who wants to chime in about my previous questions please do so
    I wouldn't get the XP500s if I were you. They operate on 2.4 GHZ and cut out like crazy. The audio hiccups on the A50s are nothing compared the XP500s. The new XP400s operate on 5GHZ wifi and I hear they cutout a lot less. When I owned the XP500s, they were not as comfortable as my Astros or Sennheisers. I have a big head though lol. The only redeeming feature of the XP500s is the bluetooth. It was nice being able to play games while talking on the phone with them. I'm disappointed that Astro didn't include bluetooth with the new A50s.

    I used to own the A40s but I recently sold them. I do have the PC360s, A50s, A30s, and all the mixamps. The PC360s are much much better than the 2010 A40s but the 2011 A40s are pretty much neck and neck with the Sennheisers. The PC360s have a nice clean bass that is not overpowering so they are good for competitive play. The A40s seem a tad bit more balanced to me so they are good for both single and multi player games. It's hard to recommend which one is better since different people hear things differently. I primarily play shooters so I would pick the PC360s over the Astros since they fit a tad bit more comfortable on my ears and the sound quality is crystal clear (even though the A40s are clear too). If I had to rate the PC360s at a 10, I would rate the 2011 A40s at a 9.5 because their sound quality is so close. I also felt that the bass boost feature of the wireless mixamp is much more apparent with the A40s than it is with the PC360s. I usually use the mixamp on my PC but I recently ordered a Xonar Phoebus that should be here on Friday. That card has a built in headphone amp so i'm excited about using all the effects with my PC360s. If your budget is tight, you should just stick with the A40s or A50s. You get a headset plus a mixamp and all the cables. The PC360s are $250 by themselves and all you get is the headset and the box. Since the sound quality is so close between them, it is a better value in my opinion to go for the A40 system or the A50 system (assuming they fix all the A50 issues). If money is no issue, buy both of them and see which one gives you the bigger eargasm =)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thetruth1983 View Post
    I wouldn't get the XP500s if I were you. They operate on 2.4 GHZ and cut out like crazy. The audio hiccups on the A50s are nothing compared the XP500s. The new XP400s operate on 5GHZ wifi and I hear they cutout a lot less. When I owned the XP500s, they were not as comfortable as my Astros or Sennheisers. I have a big head though lol. The only redeeming feature of the XP500s is the bluetooth. It was nice being able to play games while talking on the phone with them. I'm disappointed that Astro didn't include bluetooth with the new A50s.

    I used to own the A40s but I recently sold them. I do have the PC360s, A50s, A30s, and all the mixamps. The PC360s are much much better than the 2010 A40s but the 2011 A40s are pretty much neck and neck with the Sennheisers. The PC360s have a nice clean bass that is not overpowering so they are good for competitive play. The A40s seem a tad bit more balanced to me so they are good for both single and multi player games. It's hard to recommend which one is better since different people hear things differently. I primarily play shooters so I would pick the PC360s over the Astros since they fit a tad bit more comfortable on my ears and the sound quality is crystal clear (even though the A40s are clear too). If I had to rate the PC360s at a 10, I would rate the 2011 A40s at a 9.5 because their sound quality is so close. I also felt that the bass boost feature of the wireless mixamp is much more apparent with the A40s than it is with the PC360s. I usually use the mixamp on my PC but I recently ordered a Xonar Phoebus that should be here on Friday. That card has a built in headphone amp so i'm excited about using all the effects with my PC360s. If your budget is tight, you should just stick with the A40s or A50s. You get a headset plus a mixamp and all the cables. The PC360s are $250 by themselves and all you get is the headset and the box. Since the sound quality is so close between them, it is a better value in my opinion to go for the A40 system or the A50 system (assuming they fix all the A50 issues). If money is no issue, buy both of them and see which one gives you the bigger eargasm =)
    I had the PX5s and they popped even when up close to the transmitter. I love my A40s and have also tried the PC360. The above information is pretty spot on. I found the 360s brighter than the A40s with less bass but clearer sound. In the end it wasn't worth the price of upgrading so I kept my A40s. I am waiting to hear if the A50s sound better. I also tried the Tritton Warhead 7.1 and to sum it up, they look cheap, feel cheap, and sound cheap. I wish the A50s had the Xbox wireless chat chip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •