Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Thread: Astro A50's and Sound Card? is a Sound Card needed?

Exclamation Astro A50's and Sound Card? is a Sound Card needed?

Ok, Im starting to get really really confused.

I've done my research and Im getting different answers, some people/forums are telling me that if I purchase a sound card it will be a waste of money because the sound card is in the Astro A50 Amp.. (see below)

"
    If you use the A50's, you are going to connect via optical. That means the soundcard isn't going to DO anything; the A50's control unit is going to handle the conversion to analog, and will be the device that drives audio quality, not the soundcard."

But then other people/forums are saying I WILL need a soundcard to get the best out of my new A50s....

Can anyone explain this to me please, it's quite an investment for something I know little about so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

That statement would be true if you are connecting to an Xbox or a PS3. People get confused because the consoles output 5.1 sound natively so they assume that it's the same with a PC. In order to get the best experience on the PC, you will need a sound card that supports dolby digital live. Most onboard sound cards with optical ports do not have DDL and will only output 5.1 when watching movies. DDL will send a 5.1 signal to the Astros to do the conversion. Make sure your motherboard supports DDL or purchase a sound card that supports DDL.

Quote Originally Posted by thetruth1983 View Post
    That statement would be true if you are connecting to an Xbox or a PS3. People get confused because the consoles output 5.1 sound natively so they assume that it's the same with a PC. In order to get the best experience on the PC, you will need a sound card that supports dolby digital live. Most onboard sound cards with optical ports do not have DDL and will only output 5.1 when watching movies. DDL will send a 5.1 signal to the Astros to do the conversion. Make sure your motherboard supports DDL or purchase a sound card that supports DDL.
    Thanks very much thetruth1983, Ill search for a sound card that supports 5.1 DDL via Optical

I think Im going with the following

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=19259

It seems to have 5.1 DDL and Optical in and out.

And this will upscale to 7.1 on the headphones yes?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=18681

save yourself $50 and go with this one. unless you care about the flashy red lights. which you might find this very hard to believe, but you cant see it face down in your case anyway

just a recap

for pc you will need a sound card with ddl to support the surround sound. shouldnt matter 5.1 or 7.1 as the mixamp will upscale it to 7.1 anyway