Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Thread: mixamp pro + 7.1 virtual surround

Default mixamp pro + 7.1 virtual surround

So I just got my mixamp pro and set everything up. I went into my audio settings and chose my SPDIF as the default out. Everything seems to work fine but I can't tell if I am getting the 7.1 virtual surround. Under the SPDIF settigns or the USB MIXAMP settings I only get the option to test out 2 channel audio.

Since the mixamp didn't come with any files to test it, what am I supposed to use to test the 7.1? How do I know its functioning properly?

What are you using pc/360/ps3?

It is all hooked up to my PC and I an running windows 7.

You need a mother board or sound card that supports Dolby digital live to get the 5.1/7.1 surround sound

I do. I have a creative XFI extreme gamer.

Any advice?

Turn Dolby digital live on and set the audio to speakers. And you should be set

Done.

But I am still curious on how you are supposed to tell if its working. I am shocked to find there is no way to test on the amp or on a software level if the virtual 7.1 is functioning.

Here is a screen shot of my sound settings. Under SPDIF OUT for my creative I have Dobly Live selected. But, if I leave the SPDIF OUT selected as my default audio source, the amps GAME / CHAT mixer will not function. So I have to select the amp itself in the menu and set it as default for everything to work. I hope in doing this it still uses the Dobly LIVE feature in the SPDIF OUT. That is why I wanted to know if there was a way to confirm if the 7.1 is functioning. This amp should of came with a way to test the channels since windows wont recognize 7.1 "virtual channels". It will only let you test 2 as it thinks they are standard headphones.
    Last edited by dalumberjack; 12-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.