Astro Professional Gaming Headsets & Bags

Astro Global

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A40's and mixamp to PC

Digital_420 Guest

Default A40's and mixamp to PC

i am looking to buy the a40's but i am unsure on how you connect the mixamp to a pc. do you have to use an optical cable to get full 5.1 on pc?

You would need a sound card that can output in Dolby Digital Live. It would just be the optical cable and USB cable to the MixAmp. Then just plug in the headset and your good to go. Generally the optical in is the recommended way to go. I believe if you use only the USB connection it will output in stereo.

All of what Fish said is correct, while in addition, you can use a coaxil cable with the Wired MixAmp Pro to send a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal (with Dolby Digital Live). Not a lot of sound cards offer a coaxil output, but it's another option.

-ASTRO Warblade

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO Warblade View Post
    All of what Fish said is correct, while in addition, you can use a coaxil cable with the Wired MixAmp Pro to send a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal (with Dolby Digital Live). Not a lot of sound cards offer a coaxil output, but it's another option.

-ASTRO Warblade
    To add on to what was said...how should the hookup from my A40s to the Mixamp look? What cables should I be using? I want to hear sound, and be able to use my mic. Thanks!

It depends on how you're connecting it. For me I have the optical connection going from the PC to the MixAmp, then the USB connection from PC to MixAmp. From there you just plug in the headset and you're good to go. Then if you're using Windows 7, just set the Astro MixAmp to the Default Communication Device and the Optical (if used) to Default Device. That way you'll still be able to use the Game/Chat volume knob to control the balance. Hope that makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    It depends on how you're connecting it. For me I have the optical connection going from the PC to the MixAmp, then the USB connection from PC to MixAmp. From there you just plug in the headset and you're good to go. Then if you're using Windows 7, just set the Astro MixAmp to the Default Communication Device and the Optical (if used) to Default Device. That way you'll still be able to use the Game/Chat volume knob to control the balance. Hope that makes some sense.
    My plan is to use a Mixamp with the Optical Cable. I'm asking specifically what cable I should be using to capture my voice, and which cable to use to connect my headset to my Mixamp? Thanks.

Oh, the standard quick disconnect cable that comes with the A40 will work. It has a 4 pole jack with a grey band on the end. That cable handles both sound and voice communications. There is another cable that splits the Mic and Stereo jack, but that cable is to basically let you connect the A40's directly to the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Oh, the standard quick disconnect cable that comes with the A40 will work. It has a 4 pole jack with a grey band on the end. That cable handles both sound and voice communications. There is another cable that splits the Mic and Stereo jack, but that cable is to basically let you connect the A40's directly to the PC.
    I have the original A40s and mixamp, just to let you know. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I've hooked my Mixamp up to my PC, and my PC is not recognizing my mic. Any suggestions?

Also, would you mind linking me to the 4 pole cable you're talking about? I want to make sure I have the correct one.

Thanks so much.
    -Dan
    Last edited by bosoxdanc; 09-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.

I use Coax and disable the dolby processing on the mixamp so it's feeding a stereo signal to the headset. I allow the games to provide simulated surround sound, which for BFBC2 is what DICE recommends especially for their headphones/wartapes setting. I use the mic through the usb cable. Control Panel>Sound>Recording>Astro Gaming USB Mixamp

But as others have pointed out if you want Dolby 5.1 you'll need a compatible video card and use Toslink or Coax. I however find the simulated 7.1 offered in-engine by games like BC2 to be more than sufficient. I think the irony here is that while the mixamp does do a exceptional job of simulating surround sound with a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal many of the gaming grade soundcards that meet the requirements of having DDL can offer a better auditory experience by disabling the mixamps dolby processing and utilizing the soundcards ability to simulate surround sound although no doubt the quality of the simulation will be influenced by the brand and model of your soundcard. I suppose that's just my opinion though. For me I see the mixamp as a way to unify my PC and Console into one place. To use the mixamp to properly drive my headphones for my PC and also offer the best experience on my 360.
    Last edited by LastQuestion; 09-09-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxdanc View Post
    I have the original A40s and mixamp, just to let you know. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I've hooked my Mixamp up to my PC, and my PC is not recognizing my mic. Any suggestions?

Also, would you mind linking me to the 4 pole cable you're talking about? I want to make sure I have the correct one.

Thanks so much.
    -Dan
    No problem. This is the cable I was talking about.
    http://www.astrogaming.com/accessori...ndard-qd-cable

Are you able to see the Astro MixAmp as a sound device? Should come up in the Recording devices. Have you also tried connecting it to a different USB port?