1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between Headphones(Astro A50) and Headset Earphone (3 - Astro A50 voice)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Starpuffle123, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Starpuffle123

Starpuffle123 ASTRO Private

I recently purchased the Astro A50 and I am very new to this. My first question is what does it mean by Headphones (Astro A50) and Headset Earphone (3 - Astro A50 voice), like I was watching the Astro video and it said for discord put Headset Earphone (3-Astro A50 voice) for Input and Output but what if I put Headphones (Astro A50). Also, I was reading the forum and someone said "what if I want to mute people that make loud noises" A staff member replied, "flipping the microphone upwards (and more stuff)". What does he or she mean by flipping the microphone upwards?

Thanks for taking your time to help me!

(I am very new to this stuff so I might sound dumb)
  2. Starpuffle123

Also, am I suppose to record myself so I can hear what the noise gate or mic equalizer sounds like... modes like streaming, night, home, or tournament? Thanks again :p!!!!!
  3. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey Starpuffle123,

The Headphones A50 Game is the game side of the mixer which should be set as the default within Windows. It will act as your primary source of audio allowing you to take advantage of Dolby Digital Surround Sound and the EQ presets. The Headset A50 Voice is the voice side of the mixer which should be set as the default communications device within Windows. As you've probably guessed, this allows you to send audio to the opposite side allowing you to use the mixer on your headset to balance better. Most programs and games will assign themselves correctly based on the Windows configuration but in some programs such as Discord, you may need to set the A50 Voice as the input and output device to have voice audio correctly routed to the mixer.

The A50 Voice recording device is your microphone only. This should be set as the default within Windows and used with any voice programs such as Discord. The A50 Game recording device is a digital stream port containing everything you can hear including your microphone. It's great for use with OBS and other streaming programs but do not set it as any defaults otherwise you may annoy some players online.

If you need to ever mute the voice audio, your game should allow this otherwise you can hold down the game button on your mixer until you hear two beeps which indicates you now only hear game audio.

Let us know if you have any other questions or are still unsure about any setups.

- Mitch
  4. Starpuffle123

I was browsing about the A50 and some said that people on skype (one mentioned discord) said that everything they hear on the headset, the people on skype can hear. Is that a option or a headphone problem? Also since I have a seperate mic should I put that as Input and output is A50 Game or Voice because I was testing those both out and A50 Game sounds better than A50 Voice on youtube.
    Thanks for helping as always!!
    (new to this :pPP)
  5. Starpuffle123

I was browsing about the A50 and some said that people on skype (one mentioned discord) said that everything they hear on the headset, the people on skype can hear. Is that a option or a headphone problem? Also since I have a seperate mic should I put that as Input and output is A50 Game or Voice because I was testing those both out and A50 Game sounds better than A50 Voice on youtube.
    Thanks for helping as always!!
    (new to this :pPP)
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Starpuffle123,

This is explained above but I'll simplify it a little. Let me know if you still run into problems or are still stuck.

Playback Devices / Output Device.

ASTRO Game is the game side of the mixer on your headset which allows up to eight channels of audio and Dolby Digital Surround Sound. It's also affected by the EQ presets on your headset which can be changed by using the 1-2-3 slider below the Dolby button. You should use this as the default playback device within Windows.

A50 Voice is the voice side of the mixer on your headset. It's stereo only to allow voice programs to output as intended. This should be set as the default communications device within Windows and as the output device for voice chat within any games or programs such as Discord.

Recording Devices / Input Device.

ASTRO Game is a digital stream output designed for programs such as OBS. It allows you to easily output everything you can hear including your microphone for livestreaming.

ASTRO Voice is your microphone only for voice chat and should be set as the default recording device within Windows and as the input device for voice chat within any games and programs such as Discord.

If you are using a separate microphone then you should set this as the default device within Windows and as the input device within your voice chat programs although most will not allow you to do this and may force you to send everything to the game side of the mixer resulting in you not being able to balance between the two channels using your headset.

- Mitch
  7. Starpuffle123

I'm having this problem where when I put my a50 on the base station and everything is good but when I take it off and go to speakers to select a50 it doesn't have an option for it. I think the reason there is a lot of rain outside right now and my lights and computer flickers so I think that is the problem. What about you?

(it was working perfectly but out of nowhere it stopped)
  8. Starpuffle123

I'm having this problem where when I put my a50 on the base station and everything is good but when I take it off and go to speakers to select a50 it doesn't have an option for it. I think the reason there is a lot of rain outside right now and my lights and computer flickers so I think that is the problem. What about you?

(it was working perfectly but out of nowhere it stopped)
  9. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Starpuffle123,

Does the A50 Base Station have any lights on it? Also, does it work if you connect it to a different USB port on your computer?

- Mitch