Using my A50 while traveling

Discussion in 'ASTRO Nexus' started by CaPunT, Jun 27, 2018.

1. CaPunT

CaPunT ASTRO Private

Hi Guys

Do you have any tips for using A50's while traveling? Does the base station HAVE to be connected to a powered on PC in order to transmit? I've tried powering it with my power bank and cell charger, to no avail... Is it not possible to power it with a non PC USB charging device and then listening to tunes via a 3.5mm jack connected to my phone?
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey CaPunT,

Some USB batteries can power the A50 Base Station, but it is rare because we require a data connection to switch on.

If your smartphone supports USB Type-C and USB OTG, you could probably get a USB OTG adapter to connect the A50 Base Station. I have tested this with a Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9, and it can power the A50 Base Station and send audio to the voice side of the mixer. What I did find is the battery life suffered due to Spotify running, my data connection running, and the phone having to power a USB device.

So in that case, you would want a USB OTG adapter with a charging split so you can connect your phone to the power bank to charge while being able to still communicate with the A50 Base Station.

- Mitch
  3. CaPunT

CaPunT ASTRO Private

Thanks so much for the Pro-tip Mitch! I didn't know about the USB OTG with charging split option :)
  4. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

No worries, CaPunT.

Let me know if you try it out and what smartphone you own. I would like to try and update a compatibility list as we have had a few questions similar to this in the past and I only know the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9 works this way.

- Mitch