1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True 7.1

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by PercyJ2Point0, Jun 16, 2018.

1. PercyJ2Point0

PercyJ2Point0 ASTRO Private

I want to see if the guys at Astro can pull off a pair of headsets that are TRUE 7.1 surround sound.
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey PercyJ2Point0,

What's your exact definition of true 7.1 surround sound? Just wondering so I can answer this better and also pass it over to our team.

- Mitch
  3. PercyJ2Point0

More then one driver directed at your ears, usually consisting of the subworsuband other speakers you would find is full speaker set up. The ASUS ROG Centurions is the most current example of true 7.1 gaming headphones but it biggest draw backs are the size, weight, and the ammamoof cables required to run them.
  4. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey PercyJ2Point0,

More drivers do not mean better audio or actually having true surround sound. This is something we tested when the A40 Headset was first being built, and there is a great reason why we went with a headphone surround setup which many companies copied off.

For a home theatre setup in your living room or even a cinema, multi-speakers offer better spatial sound because it allows you to place and space them out around your room and gain louder audio from it. For a headset, there is not a lot of space inside the ear cup and this results in having multiple drivers squished together and sized down to around 10-20mm which causes the audio not only to sound worse but have no real positioning because there isn't enough space between them for your ear to distinguish.

For why we chose to use Dolby Headphone, we have to look at your ears first. How many holes do they have? Two? So how are you hearing the world around you with spatial sound? This is called head-related transfer function which you brain automatically learns and processes as you're growing up and it's dependent on the size of your head and the shape of your ears which is why some people can distinguish sounds and where they are coming from better. HRTF basically works by your brain listening to the sound and determining the differences in sound levels between your ears, the pitch, how you're standing to give the brain an answer to where it's coming from. You don't have multiple holes in your head to hear sound so why do you exactly need multiple drivers?

Dolby Headphone processes the audio in a similar way to the real world which your brain perceives automatically allowing you to hear 7.1 surround sound while only having two drivers. It's a great solution for headphones because it works automatically. In addition, we can customize the channel output while still keeping the full range of use from the 40mm drivers while if you had multiple drivers in your headset, these additional drivers would just be mute leaving with you two 10-20mm drivers if you were listening to stereo only.

I did not want to give you a generic answer but instead, try and inform you on why we chose a two-channel headset and why it does deliver what I believe is superior true surround sound. If you do have any other questions or want to discuss this further, please reply. It's a very good topic as many people are very misinformed when it comes down to audio.

- Mitch
  5. PercyJ2Point0

I enjoyed the read, I didn't know Astro attempted it all ready. Thank you for the information
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

Glad to hear, PercyJ2Point0.

We do test a lot of features, hardware, and software when designing our headsets and products. Many people ask us to switch to DTS or use multiple drivers without actually knowing that it is something we do look at and we don't just produce another headset with Dolby Headphone for fun. Everything that goes into our headset is from multiple testing over years of research and development. When we produced the A40 Headset back in 2007, we actually had prototypes used by professional gamers at esports tournaments to get a real feel of what worked and what did not and we've evolved on that ever since.

Similar to our A40 TR Mod Kit, we recorded actual crowd noise so we could simulate it back in a test chamber to see how the microphone reacted after redesigns and tunings.

- Mitch