1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Question for A50's

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by ian10022, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ian10022

ian10022 ASTRO Private

Hello,
    I have the gen 1 astro A50's and am starting to have some minor issues. I am thinking of upgrading to the xbox one version but just have one question first.
    First off my Gen 1 A50's are set up as follows: The mixamp/transmtter is connected to my TV via usb and optical and then to switch between XB1 and PS4 I just take a chat cable and plug it into the 2.5mm port in the headset to the 3.5mm port on either the XB1 or PS4 controllers.
    I love the set up because I can use it with both systems as well as my TV to me its the Best set up possible. I realize that the set up isn't truly wireless yes but I really don't mind because having the ability to watch/listen to Movies, TV, and Video Games all through the headset more than makes up for it in my opinion.

My question is with the current A50's can I use the same set up? I'm pretty sure I can because the current model still has all the same ports on the base station and the same jack on the headset.
    I would just like some confirmation that this set up would work.
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey ian10022,

No. The controller port was removed as both the Xbox One and PS4 now handle voice chat over the USB connection to allow a fully wireless and cleaner signal for both the game and voice audio channels. Does your TV pass Dolby Digital from the optical connection as some TVs will only pass stereo audio even if the HDMI cable contains Dolby Digital.

- Mitch
  3. ian10022

ian10022 ASTRO Private

Mitch,
    Do you mean the jack on the controller? because the ones I use have them, or do you mean the jack in the headset? I am certain the headset has it.
  4. ian10022

ian10022 ASTRO Private

Never mind
  5. ian10022

ian10022 ASTRO Private

Mitch,
    sorry for the multiple replies, but will any of the Astros work the sane as my set up above?
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey ian10022,

Our A50 Base Station and the MixAmp Pro TR removed the controller port in favour of having the voice chat functionality over the USB cable which means we do not offer a product with similar setup.

If you went with our A50 Wireless and Base Station, you would need to purchase it for either the Xbox One or PS4 depending on your colour preference. This would connect to the optical output on your TV with the USB cable connecting to the USB port on either the PS4 or Xbox One.

You would then need to purchase a standalone A50 Base Station for the other console. The optical cable would connect to the passthrough port on the other A50 Base Station with the USB cable connecting to the console too.

Both consoles would need the USB in standby mode enabled and to switch between them, you just need to dock the A50 Wireless Headset.

- Mitch
    ian10022 likes this.
  7. ian10022

ian10022 ASTRO Private

Mitch,
    Thanks very much for your very in-depth answers and explanations, I more than appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. ASTRO Vertigo

You're very welcome, ian10022.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

- Mitch