1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS4 vs XB1 A40 TR mixamp

Discussion in 'ASTRO Nexus' started by Jeremy England, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey JIMMEH,

As mentioned above in my previous post, the MixAmp Pro TR has no controller port so you must use the USB cable for voice chat. Because the Xbox One is not compatible with standard USB headsets, our MixAmp Pro TR in White features a special compatibility chip which allows it to show up on the Xbox One. You can use either MixAmp Pro TR for receiving game audio but if you want voice chat functionality, you must own the correct version. The MixAmp Pro TR in Black works on the PS4 and PS3 and the MixAmp Pro TR in White works on the Xbox One with both versions having full compatibility with your PC using a single USB cable.

We understand this can be frustrating if you own both consoles so we have tried to make it as simple as possible where you only require one ASTRO Headset. A simple solution is to purchase the A40 TR Headset and MixAmp Pro TR in your favourite colour and then purchase the additional MixAmp Pro TR for the other console. Even if you own the A40 TR Headset in Black, it can be used on the MixAmp Pro TR in White as an example.

- Mitch
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Rusted Rooster,

The Black MixAmp Pro TR will work on the Xbox One for game audio because optical audio is universal but does not have native voice chat support because there is no compatibility chip installed and the Xbox One does not support standard USB microphones. You'll find the microphone being used is one from your Kinect and you would be able to hear voice chat through the game side of your mixer. It's not a marketing gimmick. If we could have made one product to support all the consoles we would have, but because a lot of people wanted the controller cable removed, our only option to provide USB voice chat was to create a separate MixAmp Pro TR for the Xbox One to handle this.

- Mitch
  3. Candiedsmile40

Candiedsmile40 ASTRO Private

So if I buy the black a40 tr headset by it self, then I buy the White mixamp tr, will it still work for the Xbox one?
  4. pedro peralta

pedro peralta ASTRO Private

i have the same question as candiedsmile40 please answer back anyone
  5. Diggler

Diggler ASTRO Private

Hypothetical... If Microsoft ever adds USB chat to the Xbox one are we going to be stuck with a useless mix amp? Or will Astro be able to disable the chip inside in order for us to use it on Xbox? Also this would then allow us to use it on PS4.
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

Yes. The A40 TR Headsets are identical apart from the colour, the MixAmp Pro TR are different based on the colour with White being for the Xbox One and Black being for the PS4 and PS3 and both being compatible on the PC.

- Mitch
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Diggler,

If Microsoft were to add generic USB headset support to the Xbox One, our equipment will still work fine. But honestly, the chances of it happening are very slim but with the Xbox Uservoice, who knows. They listen to their community and take the suggestions very strongly and if the community could make this happen, it would be a win for everyone including us because we could make you a product that works with everything pretty much.

It's not possible to make the MixAmp Pro TR in White work on the PS4. It's not as simple as disabling a compatibility chip, the whole chip and hardware would have to be changed to match the one in the Black version.

- Mitch
  8. Xbrain

Xbrain ASTRO Private

Hi guys !!
    I'm french so sorry for my poor English.
    Number of people say that Mixamp Pro presets are really better than Mixamp TR one after have tested them.
    Is it a real fact, are you okay with this ?
    Is it just a firmware problem and a next update will solve this problem ?
    I want to buy one of them for PS4 so I want the best one (pro or TR) so help me please
    You can move my post if it's not the right place.
    Thx all
  9. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Xbrain,

Our MixAmp Pro TR presets are very similar to the one's featured on the MixAmp Pro GEN2 but are more optimized to provide the best audio. We still encourage everyone to create their own based on their personal preferences and the game they are playing to bring out the best audio or certain types of audio such as enemy footsteps or increased bass audio etc.

- Mitch
  10. Xbrain

Xbrain ASTRO Private

Thx Mitch for your answer !!
    Let's try it !!!
  11. riley76865

riley76865 ASTRO Private

Still a little bit lost here, I have the white ps4 but want the white xbox one kit to match. Does the chip in it make it so you can't hear a party or just cant talk in one? I'm not looking for a mic to use, because I have an AT2500, but want to have my peripherals to match the color of the console. Or could i just buy the headphones seperate (from Amazon), and use the 3.5 to plug into the controller or my mic (which I use for real-time monitoring) and buy a mixamp later on? I know that the surround sound comes from the mixamp, that isn't my main priority tight now, trying to match my white color scheme is. Thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey riley76865,

The MixAmp Pro TR in White has a special compatibility chip that makes it so it shows up on the Xbox One under their requirements but because of this, won't show up on your PS4 for voice chat. If you are looking for a MixAmp Pro TR for your PS4, you will need the one in Black but our website does allow you to purchase the A40 TR Headset in White with the MixAmp Pro TR in Black if you want to try and match all the colour schemes together. I know it's not a perfect solution but I'm sure for the power the MixAmp Pro TR can provide, you can forgive it to be different.

- Mitch
  13. ImLevyathan

ImLevyathan ASTRO Private

ASTRO Vertigo

I have the Gen2 Astro A40s that worked with the 360 and PS3 and i still use them for the PS4. But would my Gen2 headset work with the MixAmp Pro TR Xbox One? I dont want to have to buy a whole new headset as well if i could just the current one i have but with just a new mix amp for the wireless xbox one compatibility
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  14. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey ImLevyathan,

You can use the A40 Headset GEN2 on a MixAmp Pro TR.

- Mitch
  15. JayP

JayP ASTRO Private

So to clarify, as I have already ordered my Astro A40 TRs, that with the basic set up for A40s with the USB cable providing power from the Xbox, I will have access to in game voice chat by default? Or is there a seperate cable designed for voice chat that is also a USB cable?
  16. FalconChief222

FalconChief222 ASTRO Private

Or you could save yourself a lot of money by buying the Xbox One version. Connect it to the PS4 the same way.Then put it into PC mode. I just watched a video of a guy doing it. It makes total sense because PS4 is the only console to support USB headsets that aren't Astros. I know this because my Logitech G430s work through USB connection on my ps4,but not Xbox One.

That being said, I don't think this will work if you're trying to use the PS4 version on Xbox One.
  17. socaboy

socaboy ASTRO Private

Xbox A40 TR can work on the PS4(run in PC mode). PS4 A40 TR does work on the Xbox One but, you'll need to get the xbox one headset adapter and 2.5mm to 3.5mm talk-back-cable. Plug the 2.5 into the xbox one adapter then the 3.5 end to the AUX on the mix amp. lots of you tube vids out there. I just got my A40 TR, still have my A50. I'll post back my set-up, I run the USB power to PS4 and use a optical switch box with remote thats plugged into my PS4/Xbox One/TV

quick up date, if you have the xbox one pro controller and using the PS4 TR mix amp all you need is a 3.5mm cable from the AUX on the mix amp to the controller and chat works fine.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  18. Killer_Magic28

Killer_Magic28 ASTRO Private

I own a ps4 and was wondering if this setup would work since I cant seem to find the ps4 version of the mixamp at a local store. If I bought a phillips fidelio x2 with the modmic 4.0 and a 3.5mm spllitter (as apparently I need a splitter for this to be compatible with the ps4) would this work on my ps4 if I used the xbox version of the mixamp or do I need the ps4 version.
  19. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Killer_Magic28,

Not properly as there isn't a way for the MixAmp to gain the voice chat from you console. It would be recommended to own the MixAmp Pro TR for PS4.

- Mitch
  20. Killer_Magic28

Killer_Magic28 ASTRO Private

So if I got the Xbox version I wouldn't be able to use the voice chat at all? Or would it just be very poor quality?