1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor sound quality with Dolby enabled. Devekt or norm?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by SoundCatcher, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:49 AM.

?

Poor sound quality with Dolby enabled. Devekt or normal?

1. Devekt

100.0%
  2. norm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have no problems with sound.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SoundCatcher

SoundCatcher ASTRO Private

Hello. I recently purchased an astro a50 wireless. I read a lot of accolades about the sound of this headset, it is considered one of the best gaming headsets ever. But I was very surprised when I heard the sound of this headset after receiving it, because it did not meet my expectations and does not correspond to what everyone writes about it in the reviews. I have a lot of game sound experience, i had a lot of various top gaming headsets, such as Turtle Beach PX5, Sony mdr ds7500, Turtle Beach Elite 800, Siberia 800 (have now), each of them had its own advantages and disadvantages, but I didn’t have such a problem in any of them as in astro. I tried to connect the astro through an optical cable to my PS4, as well as to the sound card of my PC (creative x-fi titanium) with dd life enabled, but everywhere the sound was some kind of poor-quality, muffled, unnatural, metallic, like a digital noise, it lacks the bandwidth of the interface. For example, when I compare side by side the sound of fire or waterfall in astro and Siberia 800, then in astro this sound is more like white noise and not like the natural sound of water as it sounds in Siberia 800. I tried various equalizer settings, like ready-made options ( about 20), so I tried to fine-tune the equalizer with my hearing in manual mode, but none of the settings can solve the problem completely, but only masks it a little. The only solution I found is to completely turn off the Dolby surround sound effect on the headphones themselves, then the sound becomes clear without these distortions, reverberations and other things, but in this case I lose the main function of the headphones - surround sound, and for this money I can buy ordinary stereo headphones are much higher quality. I was very surprised that for such a high price I got a sound of rather average quality, which doesn’t suit me at all, and I like my current cheaper Steel Series Siberia 800 much more and even my very first turtle beach px5 sounded cleaner. Therefore, saddened by the bad experience, I am going to sell my astro a50 wireless and forget about the astro company as manufacturers of good headsets in principle. The earliest models of headsets of the turtle beach companies and the late models of steel series are at a higher level of sound quality than astro. The only thing I hope is that this is some kind of problem in the latest firmware and the manufacturer is going to fix it in the near future, or there are some other ways to fix the sound. Please write me if this is the case and what I need to do in order to change my opinion about this headset, because I cannot believe that a headset with such a sound can be considered top-notch and better.
    I apologize for my english, thanks for the help in advance.
  2. SoundCatcher

Only now I saw that I wrote the title of the topic is not correct and did not find how to edit it. Therefore, I will write the correction here:
    Defect or norm?
  3. SoundCatcher

4. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey SoundCatcher,

There is going to be differences between headsets but you should expect high quality audio from your headset. Have you tried speaking to our support team as they can arrange troubleshooting and then a warranty repair or replacement if they feel there is a hardware issue with either your headset, base station, or any cables.

- Mitch
  5. SoundCatcher

Yes, I wrote to tech support and got an answer that this is a software problem of the headset and it will be solved in the next firmware update, but no one knows the release date, even presumably. As far as I understand, tech support gives this same answer to all dissatisfied users over the past two years, but does not solve anything in practice.
    Answer:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us at ASTRO Gaming. We are looking into the Dolby issue that some users are experiencing. We are hoping to have this resolved via a firmware update however I do not have information when this will occur.

Regards,
    James
  6. Problems

Problems ASTRO Private

Yeah, I got the same response. I decided to take mine back whilst i could still get a full refund. If they release a firmware update that fixes it I may consider buying them again.
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey SoundCatcher,

Do you have your support case number at hand so I can take a look into this for you and get you a better answer?

- Mitch
  8. SoundCatcher

request # 602816