1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need recommendations for a DDL sound card

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by <<< Mordecai >>>, May 6, 2017.

1. <<< Mordecai >>>

<<< Mordecai >>> ASTRO Private

Hi guys! Long time! :)

Well I am officially back with Astro. Well not yet officially, but will be soon when I get my hands on the Astro A50 Wireless headset.

But I do have a question. I know that you would require a Dolby Digital Live enabled sound card to experience 5.1 surround on my PC. So could you guys recommend a DDL supported PC sound card compatible with the new Astro's and my old Mixamp TX?

So far, I've come across this one. It also seems to be the cheapest. Not sure if that will compromise the sound quality or not. It's the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bla...79229&sr=8-2&keywords=creative xfi sound card

Thanks a million! :)
  2. <<< Mordecai >>>

Nothing? No Help?
  3. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey <<< Mordecai >>>,

It's a Saturday :), sometimes we are not online.

If you purchase our A50 Wireless Headset and Base Station, you will not require a sound card. In fact, we recommend you do not use one as it can cause a couple of glitches due to the optical input being tuned and timed for consoles. If you are purchasing our GEN2 products, we can't recommend one directly but any sound card which supports an optical output and Dolby Digital Live generally will perform the same. It's really down to the additional features you may want that the sound card can provide, most of which are disabled automatically when Dolby Digital Live is enabled.

- Mitch
  4. <<< Mordecai >>>

Hey thanks Mitch! :)

Well I will need a card with a optical port as my Asus motherboard does not have one onboard. So could you give me a name of one in any case? :D

Should I just go for this https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1494529311&sr=8-13&keywords=asus xonar

Or am I just better off getting this - https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digit...e=UTF8&qid=1494529557&sr=8-12&keywords=J-tech

Thanks again and sorry for being a bit pushy. :)

Cheers!
  5. A50 SW Battlefront

A50 SW Battlefront ASTRO Private

6. <<< Mordecai >>>

Hey thanks for your reply, but that sound card is way more than what I can afford right now because I just spent more than $300 on the A50 Wireless headset.

Thanks anyway.

:)
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey <<< Mordecai >>>,

I have used the Creative one and it works fine. I can't complain.

Just remember that with the A50 Wireless and Base Station, you only use the USB cable to your computer. You don't require an optical connection or a sound card to hear audio. If you are purchasing one for an older A50 Wireless Headset GEN1 or GEN2 product, the Creative should work fine.

- Mitch