1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixamp Pro TR Dolby Headphone technology

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Powerflank, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Powerflank

Powerflank ASTRO Private

Hey @ASTRO Vertigo, I made some research in regards to Dolby Headphone and it seems there are 3 different options known as DH1, DH2 and DH3.

Quoting a post from another forum:

- DH1 simulates a dampened studio environment with near field monitor speakers. This has very little to no echo.

- DH2 is a 'standard' listening room with some echo and the speakers simulated further away.

- DH3 is a large room with extra echo (maybe something like a jazz club or music arena).

I would appreciate if you could expand a bit more on which dolby headphone technology runs the Mixamp Pro TR. Considering the difference in sound between the TR and the older mixamp models (2013 edition or even older) has Astro changed dh mode in the latest model?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 7:07 AM
  2. Powerflank

Powerflank ASTRO Private

3. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey Powerflank,

These were options found on ASUS sound cards and there isn't actually Dolby Headphone versions that you can choose from, these were just tweaked by ASUS similar to an EQ preset. The Dolby Headphone option that we provide is tweaked and tuned along with ASTRO audio to provide the best audio and surround sound simulation for an ASTRO headset connected to the MixAmp Pro TR and should work well with most other two-channel headsets.

- Mitch
  4. Powerflank

Powerflank ASTRO Private

Then why is the surround sound of the TR more muffled than the Astro Mixamp 2013 for example? Where is the difference?
  5. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Powerflank,

The audio is definitely not muffled but is different due to the digital processing and changes we have made including adjusting the EQ presets.

- Mitch
  6. Powerflank

Powerflank ASTRO Private

It is muffled if you compare it to the older mixamps. There are also videos that prove it such as this one. It is more professional to acknowledge issues rather than ignoring them. If it's something software-related, an update can definitely fix it.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Powerflank,

We do take all feedback seriously but there isn't an issue with the quality of audio we are providing with the MixAmp Pro TR. It's been tested and has been tweaked since launch and we'll continue to tune it if necessary.

- Mitch
  8. johnnyt02

johnnyt02 ASTRO Private

It needs to be tweaked to sound like it does without the Dolby on. The old mixamps sounded like this, much more clear/realistic. I don’t understand how you guys could think it was an improvement and there’s nothing wrong with the sound the TR’s produce. Maybe you need to defend it cause you’re a rep but personally know it sounds like shit and use the old ones yourself ? I wouldn’t be surprised lol..
  9. BennyBlades

BennyBlades ASTRO Private

dont need to swear hahaha but you are totally right. The dolby sounds absolutely terrible on the tr and the dolby on the mixamp pro sounds 10,000 times better. There is so much echo and reverb it sounds like you are in a huge church or something. I literally have both and use the pro for surround sound and the tr in stereo mode for chatting because the old pro the mic sounded terrible which was another previous issue astro just pretended wasnt there. Oh and saying the dolby issue is from the custom eq’s and all digital tech is totally made up nonsense because I’m pretty sure stereo mode uses the same custom eq’s and all digital tech and sounds great. It’s literally a direct result of enabling dolby. I’ve heard almost every form of vss and the tr is at the bottom. Just make the tr dolby sound more like the old pro. literally 99.9 of mixamp owners(.01 probably being you haha) are begging you. If you do that your mediocre product will become the best console accessory on the planet! I get it with your new headsets and controller only supporting stereo it probably signals ps4 will be getting atmos or something so it's not imperative to put effort into it but please just honor the request of thousands of your loyal current customers!! Literally no one ever has said the tr sounds better(beside maybe you) and forum upon forum are saying the opposite. Please just listen.
  10. BennyBlades

you seriously just make up facts to try to trick us into thinking you didnt switch from DH2 to DH3 which sound horrible I here are some links that have absolutely nothing in the world to do with asus. Its like you just come on the forums and give the most generic, usually wrong, least helpful answer possible anytime anyone asks anything. It’s shocking that you even still work there with all the nonsense you spout haha. Just go to the people that can change it and say “the customer hate DH3 can we please go back to DH2 or DH1” instead of straight lying to people. Hell maybe even add the ootion to change between them.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/which-one-is-better-dh1-or-dh2.74301/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-...-dh1-dh2-dh3-regular-cans.html#/topics/214536

Pioneer headphones offering dh1,dh2,dh3

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/pioneer-se-xb1-dolby-digital-surround-sound-headphones.66074466/

An old achool mixamp device describing how it offers DH1, DH2, DH3 about halfway down. Geez their description of DH1 and DH2 sounds an awful lot like mixamp pro vs TR dolby

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/jvc-su-dh1-review/amp/

Here is another post from the forums of people talking about it that never even got a response

http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/audio-issue-mixamp-pro-tr.265332/

So here we sit. Mitch as usual completely insulting customers intelligence, telling straight lies, and blaning their individual hardware to get them to “shut up and deal with it” rather than actually ever admitting or addressing anything. How many thousands of mixamps have been sent back because of this only for you to send them back to the customer and say, “oh nothings wrong its your ears.” What a total waste of time and effort. Also what a slap to the face of your loyal fanbase. BTW I’m still waiting on that noisegate fix on the old mixamp pro since all my friends with crap sony golds mute me or tell me to stop chewing on my mic. Oh wait that doesnt exist either and I should just buy a new mixamp right??!!?? Astro clearly does not care for it’s customers and would prefer they use a steelseries gamedac or a creative g6 or even fish ebay for old mixamps because the current one is total garbage due to one easily fixable issue that astro refuses to even admit exists. What a joke.
  11. Powerflank

Powerflank ASTRO Private

I agree with BennyBlades. I was only asking for a straight reply but you refused to acknowledge the problem without even giving information about the DH technology that is being used on the TR @ASTRO Vertigo. As customers, we deserve to know what's wrong with a product we've spent quite a lot of money on.
  12. BennyBlades

Literally half your posts are you telling customers they don’t know what they are talking about when thousands of customers literally have the exact same problem. Are you even a real person or just a robot? It’s like you honestly believe there is no possible way astro could have possibly done something customers dont like and that every single one of them is wrong. Its really insulting. Just one more firmware ditching that pathetically terrible version of dolby(DH3 which you claim doesnt exist but we've already proven that either that is a lie or you don’t know how to work google) and go back to what the mixamp pro had. Its not that difficult and definitely not worth losing customers and fan loyalty by literally spending years denying an issue and telling customer after customer they are just wrong. Your dolby vss is one of the worst sounding implementations of vss there is and you refuse to aknowledge or do anything whatsoever about it. Its a joke. God my sound blaster g6 sounds 10,000 times better.