1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixamp - A50 Suggestion - Dolby via USB?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by vaere, Jul 23, 2012.

1. vaere

vaere ASTRO Private

Ok. Would / is it planned for the Astro A50 Transmitter to support Dolby via USB WITHOUT connecting the Toslink?

I recieved my unit and was plesantly surprised that it actually supports Stereo via the USB without anything else connected (took me a while actually, it set the Astro as default audio, and i was getting only stereo in games, couldnt understand why until I found that it installed another audio). My question is however would there be drivers coming to support Dolby via usb? If so I would be able to use the Toslink for someting else, or simply eliminate a cable. Or even a firmware upgrade for the Transmitter to allow this?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. ASTRO Refraxion

ASTRO Refraxion Social Media Team Staff Member

Dolby Digital over USB will not be supported.
  3. vaere

vaere ASTRO Private

Doh. Should have been more specific. Did not mean the headset being plugged in via usb. ment the Transmitter. Or was the answer no for both of those :)

For stereo all you need is the transmitter plugged into USB and its gtg.
  4. ASTRO Refraxion

ASTRO Refraxion Social Media Team Staff Member

Both. You won't find a sound card that is capable of outputting a Dolby Digital signal over USB either. They all output surround sound via a coaxial or optical connection or by using multiple speaker wires for a home theater setup.
  5. vaere

vaere ASTRO Private

Actually there are a few USB 5.1 and 7.1 sound cards that output via optical and normal jack. Only thing is if it was in the unit there would be no need to output as it would be converted right to wireless. See below for sample. Anyways happy with the A50 for now. Something like those below maybe incorperated for future release :)

USB Soundwave 7.1 by SIIG
    ASUS Xonar U3 Hi-Fi
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi GO! Pro Sound Card USB
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Although they are USB Sound Cards, they output Dolby Digital over TOSLink Optical.

- Mitchell
  7. vaere

vaere ASTRO Private

I know, what i ment is that a Toslink would not be needed with a device like the A50 (if it had it) due to the fact it would be connected directly to the USB.

If the A50 had something like that incorporated, thats actually what i ment in my initial question.
  8. ASTRO Vertigo

Here's the problem with having sound cards directly built in. You have to look at a variety of things.
    - Cost.
    - Effectiveness.
    - Savings to the customer.

The problem with building a sound card into the A50 Transmitter means it would have increased the price. Personally myself and for other customers, I do not want that to happen, ever. Many people do not game on their computer and do not use their A50 Headsets on the computer. They are more console made but support the PC for those who need it. I hate when companies build features and force me to pay for them. If I need it, I rather purchase it separate. It's like me purchasing an Xbox 360 and forcing me to use a Microsoft Hard Drive. Hate it.

The USB Sound Card that you suggested (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi GO! Pro Sound Card USB), does not support Dolby Digital LIVE or Optical Out, so we'll move onto the next best thing which is the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro - USB Sound Card.

The cost in America is $51 which means if Astro built a sound card into their A50 Transmitter, we would be looking at increasing the cost by around $51 which would increase the A50 Wireless System from $299 to $350.

In England, the headset costs £259.99 ($387.98). The sound card costs £49.99 ($77) which would increase our total cost to £309.98 ($481.08). It's a big difference and many consumers probably wouldn't purchase as it's too costly with the current state of VAT.

Astro has to look at everyone and try and make the headset as cheap as possible without reducing the premium feeling. As many people will not need a sound card built into the headset, it makes sense not to add one in and try and bring the cost down. The A50 Wireless System will not support Dolby Digital over USB and if you need that, then you will need to purchase a sound card, but that's one of the main reasons that it doesn't support one.

- Mitchell
  9. KillFeed

KillFeed ASTRO Private

Does this mean the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro isn't supported to be used with the Astro A50's? Just wanted to make sure as it would answer an important question for me.
    Thanks!

Edit: Just to confirm that the setup would be: Computer --(USB)-->
    External Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 Pro (Setup with Dolby Digital Live) --(Optical)--> Mixamp
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. ASTRO Vertigo

Hi KillFeed,

The Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro does support Dolby Digital LIVE and will work with the ASTRO A50 Wireless Headset.

- Mitchell
  11. KillFeed

KillFeed ASTRO Private

Thank you very much Vertigo,

I will look into getting myself a purchase after my friend has got his one figured out. He has quite a few problems out of the box:

- Being stuck at 0% on the firmware update
    - Sometimes unable to turn the headphones off
    - Light sometimes stuck on Orange when not plugged into the charger
    - Some more I can't remember

Makes me a little cautious on getting one myself because of the problems, but then again he seems to have the least amount of luck with anything electronic.
  12. ASTRO Vertigo

Hi KillFeed,

I would suggest that your friend disables any security software and programs that might be conflicting with our device manager. Also make sure the equipment is directly connected to the motherboard of a computer instead of a USB Hub and make sure he is using anything but Internet Explorer.

Draining the headset and moving the EQ switch to make sure it isn't stuck between two appears to resolve this issue.

If you switch on the headset without the transmitter, it will go into an orange light and will appear frozen. Switching on the transmitter should make it fully power on with a red light. That might be also linked to the issue above.

- Mitchell
  13. KillFeed

KillFeed ASTRO Private

Thank you very much, I'll get him to do this! :D