Dolby Atmos

Discussion in 'ASTRO Nexus' started by andDrewskY, Jul 9, 2017.

1. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hi everyone,

A little confusing but I'm glad Dolby Atmos is becoming a nice topic on the forums.

I just want to drop in to clarify some points.

Dolby Atmos and Dolby Atmos for Headphones are two separate technologies so you may find that content which is produced for Dolby Atmos will not work with Dolby Atmos for Headphones if it requires the receiver to do the processing. This is direct bitstream passthrough. For Dolby Atmos for Headphones, you can enable this on your Xbox One by heading into the audio settings, setting the controller audio to Dolby Atmos for Headphones and then using the option to push it to the optical output and HDMI output. It will override any audio settings you have for the optical output which is fine in our case. You do not need a controller adapter and if you are using one with our GEN1 and GEN2 products, it can be still used for chat audio only to allow your mixer to work as normal.

If you are gaming on a PC, you will need to use an optical cable to gain the game audio from your PC. All you have to do is right click on the optical output, head into the properties and set the spatial sound to Dolby Atmos for Headphones. If you are using a MixAmp Pro TR or A50 Wireless and Base Station, it will still be placed into PC mode but the USB game device will now be ignored as it does not support headphone spatial sound due to being a native six channel receiver.

The audio will output as a stereo two-channel stream but will contain HRTF trickery similar to Dolby Headphone to fool your ears into thinking the sound is coming from a certain direction or in the case of Dolby Atmos for Headphones, a certain area. You will need to turn off Dolby Headphone on your MixAmp Pro TR or A50 Wireless as it will take the two-channel audio and try to upscale it to a 7.1 stream which will cause the illusion to be lost. By turning off Dolby Headphone, you will perceive the audio from Dolby Atmos for Headphone as it was intended.

As long as the 7.1 virtual surround sound option is enabled under the Xbox One or Windows 10, you should still hear 7.1 surround sound from your games which do not support Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

If you have any setup questions or questions in general, let me know and I can try and get them answered for you.

- Mitch
  2. neocitron

neocitron ASTRO Private

Hi Mitch.

This specific point is rather confusing. What exactly does the checkbox for 7.1 virtual sound do in that spatial audio tab?
    For example, I'm on PC with a 2016 A50+ base station (blue) and if I'm playing a game that only supports standard 5.1 Dolby Digital, will this "7.1 virtual surround" option convert the audio to a 7.1 space? In that case, would enabling the Dolby Headphone function on the A50 (2016) base station be incorrect by adding additional processing?

Essentially, what is the point of that 7.1 vss checkbox when someone has something like an Astro A50 + Base Station? I'm assuming it's an option for people who have a simpler stereo headset, in which case the 7.1 vss simply acts like the Dolby Headphone button on the A50 does...

:confused:
  3. neocitron

neocitron ASTRO Private

For got to also mention that Windows 10 has another tab that allows you to choose which sound formats are supported by your "receiver" (A50 base station in this case). So, should I tell Windows 10 that my A50 can support Dolby Digital and 16 bit 48Khz profiles? If I do tell Windows that, will it pass an untouched Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream to my A50 (when Atmos is unavailable) or will it proceed to convert that DD 5.1 signal using the "7.1 Virtual Surround Sound" checkbox in the spatial audio tab?

It's hard to know when, if ever, I'm getting the correct intended sound.

Maybe a firmware update to the base station that allows it to be seen as a stereo headset rather than a 6 channel receiver would be nice, if nothing else, so we can quickly switch to an Atmos Headphone "profile" and back to standard DD 5.1 profile when needed by simply using the windows sound controls in the taskbar to toggle between both.
  4. neocitron

neocitron ASTRO Private