1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatically switch audio input when headset is docked / undocked

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by CMC, Jun 5, 2018.

1. CMC

CMC ASTRO Private

The command centre knows when the headset is switched on, it would be great if you could just pick the headset on and it switch the sound output accordingly. Can't see it being a massive hassle to implement. SoundSwitch is an open source way of switching input, I'm sure you could use code from that and simply have a default in the command centre to return to when redocked.
  2. CMC

CMC ASTRO Private

Keep mixing input and output, but hopefully you get the point (guess it applies to both anyway)
  3. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey CMC,

The ASTRO Command Center is just customisation software, and we want to keep it as simple as possible, so it's not taking up resources on your computer. It's not possible to implement this entirely only because of restrictions on Windows and the headset always shows an on state when it is docked and charging which wouldn't work for most people. I will pass your feedback over to our team for review, but it would probably come back down to either manually switching or using some third-party software to make the switch easier for you.

- Mitch
  4. CMC

CMC ASTRO Private

Hi Mitch,

This wouldn't be anymore resource intensive than it currently is, I'm fairly sure the Command Centre software is aware of when the headset is docked and undocked (sorry, wasn't quite sure what you meant) at which point all you would need to do is switch input when that state changes, which must be possible without restriction as SoundSwitch (https://github.com/Belphemur/SoundSwitch) does it.

Unless gaming, I use speakers so each time I want a quick game, I have to swap the default device to Astro game, default communication to Astro voice and the default mic to Astro too and again invert it once finished. It is very tedious and something that would make it a much better product in my eyes if automated (and I'm sure for others too). If you are unable to do this, is there anyway to implement it myself? If there is an API for command centre, I would happily contribute to soundswitch myself.
  5. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey CMC,

The ASTRO Command Center will only check for a connection between the base station and the headset when attempting to install the firmware. It does not consistently run a check. If you are running Windows 10, you can quickly switch your default playback device in a matter of seconds by click on the sound icon to bring up the volume control, selecting the ASTRO USB Game device and then switching it to your speakers. No need to use third-party programs or head through the settings application.

- Mitch
  6. CMC

CMC ASTRO Private

Hi Mitch,

I don't think you understand what I'm asking.

The command centre displays when the headset is charging. If it is charging, the headset is docked. When it is charging or docked you can't be listening to them, so it would be great to swap audio automatically at that point.

I'm aware you can use the Windows system to swap output, however to change the input and output to and from the Astro headset is very tedious and takes more than a few seconds, especially when I just want a quick game.
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey CMC,

This information is being pulled from the front display on the A50 Base Station. The ASTRO Command Center would still show a charging display if you were charging the headset using a USB cable to a USB wall charger which is why we couldn't tell Windows to switch the playback device based on this information. At the same time, the ASTRO Command Center will only check if the headset is docked when it needs to such as a firmware update. It has no information about whether the headset is docked until it does a manual check.

I will pass this information forward for review, but it's probably not going to be something we can implement in our current products.

- Mitch