1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astro Compatibility

Discussion in 'ASTRO Nexus' started by OneShot, Mar 7, 2015.

1. OneShot

OneShot ASTRO Private

Hello, I am looking into purchasing an Astro Headset. I would like to purchase the Astro A40 Xbox One edition, however, I would also like it to be compatible with the PC and Xbox 360. Is there any way to do that?

If not, is there a headset available that is compatible with the Xbox 360, PC, and possibly the Xbox One?
  2. ASTRO Refraxion

ASTRO Refraxion Social Media Team Staff Member

3. Adam C Rindfleisch

Adam C Rindfleisch ASTRO Private

Just an extension of this question. I was looking for the A50 for both PC and Xbox one.. Can I simply purchase the Xbox One edition and use it on my pc? Would this still make it a wireless headset for both devices? Does this still support 7.1 Surround Sound on both devices? Are there any differences at all to the features or functionality of the headset depending on which device I have it plugged into?
  4. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hi Adam C Rindfleisch,

You can use the A50 Wireless Headset Xbox One Edition on your PC although just like the ASTRO Edition, you will require a sound card which supports an optical output and Dolby Digital Live technology for surround sound unless you also purchased an A50 USB TX which connects to a single USB port on your computer and pairs directly to your A50 Wireless Headset to provide all the functionality it requires including surround sound audio.

- Mitchell
  5. Adam C Rindfleisch

So just to clarify.

If I Purchased the Xbox One version with the controller adaptor included. Then I would be able to use the headset on both my PC and Xbox?

If I’m not mistaken though. If I would like to use the Xbox One headset on my PC I would either require to purchase the USB TX or Have an optical output on either my motherboard or sound card. Is this correct?

Would the headset still be wireless on my pc? ( I understand that regardless of which model I purchase there would be a cable to my Xbox controller )

So in summary, I wouldn't see any difference on my PC regardless of which 'version' I purchased?
  6. ASTRO Vertigo

That is correct, Adam C Rindfleisch.

When gaming on a PC, it will be fully wireless and the connections are the same regardless if you purchased an Xbox One Edition or an ASTRO Edition. You would either require an A50 USB TX or a sound card which features an optical output and Dolby Digital Live.

- Mitchell
  7. Adam C Rindfleisch

So if I purchased an Asus Xonar ST. This card has an SPDIF out - it has an optical adaptor. Would this still provide the headphones with 7.1?
  8. ASTRO Vertigo

Hi Adam C Rindfleisch,

If it is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST then it will as this features Dolby Digital Live technology.

- Mitchell
  9. Adam C Rindfleisch

Sorry to be a pain.. How would this work on the Asus Xonar DG? This is a 5.1 dolby digital sound card with an optical out.. would the Mixamp conver this to 7.1?
  10. ASTRO Vertigo

Hi Adam C Rindfleisch,

That would be correct. Most sound cards can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 over an optical cable due to limitations.

- Mitchell
  11. sven vanloffelt

sven vanloffelt ASTRO Private

question i have an A50 gen2 psa headset is there any way i can use this one for the xbox one ?
  12. ASTRO Vertigo

13. joego4

joego4 ASTRO Private

Hey I own a pair of astro a50 for my 360 and I recently purchased an xbox one. I was wondering what i would need to use it on the xbox one can you help?
  14. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey joego4,

You would need to purchase an AG1 Chat Cable from our website to make the connection from your Xbox One Controller to the A50 Wireless Headset for voice chat. Everything included with your headset such as the optical cable can be used to gain the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound from your games.

- Mitch
  15. joego4

joego4 ASTRO Private

Hey Mitch thank you for the info!
  16. ASTRO Vertigo

Anytime, joego4!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

- Mitch
  17. DaltonG09

DaltonG09 ASTRO Private

Hey Mitch, looks like you know what you are talking about when it comes to Astros. I have the A4os with the xbox one, but want to use them on the 360 as well. with the way they fit into the bottom of the xbox one controller is it possible or is there an adapter that will make it work for the 360?

Thanks
  18. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey DaltonG09,

If you only want to hear game audio, then you could purchase a MixAmp Pro TR for Xbox One. This would allow you to use the full functionality on the Xbox One such as game audio and voice chat but you would be limited to just game audio from the Xbox 360. If you wanted full functionality on the Xbox 360, then you would need to find an older GEN1 or GEN2 MixAmp Pro with an Xbox LIVE Controller Cable. Your current A40 Headset should have come with a 3.5mm audio cable which can connect to either the MixAmp Pro TR or a MixAmp Pro GEN1/GEN2.

- Mitch
  19. DaltonG09

DaltonG09 ASTRO Private

Thanks a bunch, so if I'm understanding correctly, in order to hear the game audio and have the chat available while playing the xbox 360 games like COD MW3 with my current astro A40s(xbox one's) I would need to purchase a gen 1 or gen 2 mix amp pro with the xbox live controller cable?
  20. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey DaltonG09,

If you are gaming on the Xbox 360 console, you would need a compatible MixAmp. The MixAmp Pro TR can be used for game audio only, but you would require a GEN1 or GEN2 MixAmp Pro with a controller cable to experience the full game and voice audio from your Xbox 360.

- Mitch