1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astro C40 TR Software Question

Discussion in 'ASTRO Nexus' started by fl1mflam, Jan 2, 2019.

1. fl1mflam

fl1mflam ASTRO Private

Hi all,

New to the forums here so I hope this post is in the right place. I didn't see any spots on the forums for the C40 controller.

I have 2 BIG questions about the C40: does the software allow adjusting of dead zones on the analog sticks? Can I adjust the tension of the sticks themselves, and not just the sensitivity?

I WOULD LOVE it if at some point another company would release analog sticks like the ones on the Razer Onza TE controller for the Xbox 360. There were dials on the analog sticks that could be turned to manually adjust the weight of the tension on the physical potentiometers. That was such a huge deal for me personally that I started modding my own potentiometers with heavier springs to give me the same effect. Being able to crank the tension to max, and then raise the software sensitivity to max makes a huge difference for fine movements.
  2. fl1mflam

fl1mflam ASTRO Private

Any forum mods or Astro employees care to answer?
  3. BennyBlades

BennyBlades ASTRO Private

Im curious if the audio is going to have sidetone
  4. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey fl1mflam,

We'll have more to reveal about all the software soon, however, I will try and get you some answers now on your questions. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll ask the right people about it :)

- Mitch
  5. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey BennyBlades,

To confirm some answers for you.

The entire 3.5mm port on the C40 TR Controller is customizable. The audio output can be customised slightly using an equaliser built into the software which can be different between the two stored profiles, and you will be able to adjust the microphone output volume, the microphone sidetone and how loud the speaker is on the controller. Obviously, some of these can be customised through your console, but we give you the option to change it via firmware which allows for more comfortable travelling when going to LAN tournaments.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the analogue sticks on the C40 TR Controller to gain a better feel. The software will show you in live time how the stick is reacting, and you should be able to remove any dead zones if this is a game or a strick problem. However, we built the controller in mind of knowing that professional gamers can wear down the analogue sticks much faster than a casual gamer and the parts will be swappable instead of having to purchase a new controller in the future.

The trigger stops are ASTRO defined which we've worked with professional gamers to find a sweet spot but the software will allow you to choose how far down the trigger is pulling at what spot so you can fine tune it for your games.

- Mitch
  6. Morris Hanley

Morris Hanley ASTRO Private

Since this is the only place it seems to ask about the C40 I have a few questions before I pre order this or even buy it. Do the removable screws just screw into plastic holes or are there metal post for them to screw into, are there any set price on the stick replacement pods because if they are more than $25.00 each it is not worth it to buy because for the price of two you can buy a complete Sony controller new.
    Do you plan to offer firmware updates at a regular interval, your firmware updates for your A50 headset was never that great and if this is going to be the same then it is again not worth the trouble.
    Is the warranty longer than a year and is there a set date of release because since I have been watching it the release date has changed twice if not more?
    $200.00 for a controller is a good piece of change so I am quite cautious about this because I am not going to put the money into it just to end up regretting it that is why I am buying from Amazon just to have the 30 day return period no questions asked, that is if I buy it at all.
    Your Customer support has never been that great either another reason to have pause about buying this for $200.00!
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Morris Hanley,

1) There are metal standoffs for the screws. We plan to make the controller last as long as possible but should you wear down certain parts such as the analogue sticks, they would be replaceable without requiring a whole new controller.

2) We don't have a price on replacement parts quite yet, but we aim to make it competitive. The problem with standard controllers is they are not designed very well for professional gameplay where you have a gamer pushing those analogue sticks majority of the day which makes them wear down causing stick drift or possibly further damage. This is because the controller needs to be manufactured at a reasonable price where it doesn't affect the cost of a console.

Our controller is priced at $199.99, but for good reason that you are purchasing a solid product which will not wear down as fast due to using higher grade parts. Also, you're purchasing into an eco-system that allows you to swap out parts which in the long run should be cheaper than repurchasing controllers, but for many players, you may not need to ever replace any parts depending on the wear and tear.

The $200 also give you a lot more functionality such as allowing you to customize the controller settings including EQ profiles and move this between consoles and allowing both a wired and wireless functionality so you are not paying this price just for being able to swap around an analogue stick.

3) Firmware updates are released as and when they are needed. Our support for the MixAmp Pro TR or A50 Wireless and Base Station has not been dropped and should they require a new firmware update to correct a problem or add support, we will release one if possible. The same will happen with our C40 TR Controller.

4) The release date for the C40 TR Controller was Early 2019 and how been changed to March 2019. As we get closer, we will either be able to move this back or have a more refined release date within March when the controllers will ship. We recommend everyone to pre-order now to guarantee a controller for launch as they will be popular within tournament usage.

- Mitch
  8. Morris Hanley

Thank You for the response. I have one other question since this controller is approved by Sony why didn't you make it to where it would just connect directly to the PS4 like the Scuf controllers do and not have to use one of those plug in dongles and take up a usb slot?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. CAYDE

CAYDE ASTRO Private

is it as comfortable as the dualshock 4 camo?
  10. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Morris Hanley,

Licensed PS4 controllers require a USB connection to use the headset port on the controller for either game or voice audio. If they connect directly to the PS4 using Bluetooth, they can not offer this functionality. We chose to include the USB Wireless Transmitter for a couple of reasons. One, it means the C40 TR Controller is compatible in wireless mode with both the PS4 and PC out of the box.

Secondly, because the C40 TR Controller is paired directly to the transmitter, it makes moving between consoles easier. You don't have to pair; you can now just plug and play. It also stops any accidental disqualifications from happening in tournament usage. If a player gamed on a console and won, they usually move to another section of the hall to play against another opponent. If they were trying to pair their controller with the new console and it just switched on and synced back to the first console, this could cause the game to pause and would cause a disqualification either to a player on that console or to whoever created the pause. This can't happen with the C40 TR Controller.

- Mitch
  11. Morris Hanley

Thank You for your answers.
  12. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey CAYDE,

We've put a lot of effort into the controller working with various teams to ensure it is a comfortable fit in your hands. There is always going to be a preference which is why some people prefer the Xbox One Controller and others prefer the DualShock 4 Controller. We believe this controller will stand on its own corner and with the ability to switch the analogue sticks into any position, hopefully, all gamers will be happy with the layout and feel. We've put a lot of research and effort into designing something that works for tournament usage which should then offset as being one of the best home controllers the world like our headsets.

- Mitch