1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[ACGG POST] Nevermind's TV/Monitor guide.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Nevermind, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Alpha I Omega

Alpha I Omega ASTRO Community Leader

But will they blend?
  2. SocksWthSandals

SocksWthSandals ASTRO Community Leader

wtf are you talking about haha
  3. Alpha I Omega

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. XxiFeltxX

XxiFeltxX ASTRO Private

Thanks yall....i'll try to post pics within 2 weeks of my new set up.
  5. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

In about 3 to 4 weeks I'm picking THIS one up for $2000 Very, very tiiite. Can't wait to hang that on my wall.
  6. XxiFeltxX

XxiFeltxX ASTRO Private

7. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

Yeah, that's a nice TV.
  8. Steggy

Steggy ASTRO Private

Plasmas last just as long as LCD TV's do now and their prices can get very low. I've seen 42" plasmas go for ~500 dollars, though they are 720P, I'm just sayin. I'm not arguing that LED's aren't great TV's, they are really nice, but are they worth the price? not really. Like you said, in due time the prices will plummet, that's when the LED's will be a good buy, when the performance meets the price. Right now you can get a 600hz 1080p Panasonic plasma for ~1300, or you can get a 46" 1080p LED for 2400. Nearly twice the price for differences that don't warrant it.

And True Motion or whatever you call it doesn't necessarily mean no input lag. If it's just talking about the Hz then it's just going to basically be the response times of the monitors/tv's.

And Socks, the 2 MLG Tv's you listed are pretty so-so, you'd be better off getting either an Acer H233H, Viewsonic VX2260WM, Samsung XL2370, or an Asus VH226H
  9. Alpha I Omega

hahaha i got my 46" LED for 1k, i wouldn't pay more than 1.5 for ANY TV...
  10. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

The prices will drop, but I'm not waiting that long. haha
    A TV is TV. If you do your research people, then I'm sure you'll get what you like. Just don't let some third rate, minimum wage Best Buy salesman tell you that Plasma is the ONLY way to go and Monster Cable is the ONLY cable you should buy. The internet is full of resources, so don't let this forum be your last stop before going out to buy your next TV.
    Nuff said...

Cheers...
  11. SocksWthSandals

SocksWthSandals ASTRO Community Leader

yea, the ratio quality are pretty lame, but i just figured maybe hed want the same style and brand they use
  12. Alpha I Omega

Why would you use a monitor just because the MLG uses it?
    what a waste of money.
    I know for a 100% fact that no one can tell the difference between an 8ms lag and a 4 ms lag...so why does it matter?
    the lag times are just a way for people to bitch about why they died...just another excuse.
  13. Steggy

Steggy ASTRO Private

Well you fall into the demographic that will overpay for the latest technology. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, every technology has its ups and downs, but your views on plasma are kind of warped IMO. In any case, the best thing to do to get your money's worth with any TV would be checking out avsforum for some experts' suggestions on models to go for for each technology.

And Alpha, a monitor like the NX2232W has more than 8ms of lag, pretty much anything over 16ms can be noticeable, though it will always vary person to person. And it's not the audio quality that sucks about those 2 tv's you posted, I mean, you can always upgrade with a nice set of speakers. But if you're looking for an MLG TV that performs really well, go with the Acer, it performs very well.
  14. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

Why are my views warped. Because I know quiet a bit about TV's . I'm sure I know more than you do about TV's. Plasmas are nice for watching movies, TV, playing games, but they are known for burn in. Not as bad now but they still are. Also the shelf life of a Plasma TV is only around 60,000 hours. A TV should last you anywhere from 10 to 14 years and Plasmas do NOT fall into that category. Here is a quick run down of what should be performed on Plasmas...
    _keep it in a well ventilated area

- do not leave static images on the screen for longer than 8-10 minutes

- avoid watching in very brightly lit rooms; in other words, plasma TVs perform better in normal lit and dimly lit areas

- make sure the unit is turned off when you are not using it

I cannot say the same for LCD or LED TV's.

Sure you could buy a 720p Plasma at a relatively low price. But is it worth it. IMO no. Plain and simple... NO. I have a friend that works in the technology and we grew up together taking TV's apart and putting them back together, learning what they do and how they do it. Because we liked it so much he went into that field when he grew up.

What really gets me stoked is when you guys that do all these reviews and whatnot come on here preaching you know more than God himself about this or that. I'm sorry, but you seem a little young and a little inexperienced when it comes to the knowledge of TV's. I was trying not to have to say this but you kept pushing the subject and the howdy duty know it all about TV's until somebody who knows a whole lot more than you do about the subject comes along. If you're going to give reviews on a subject do your homework first and then do your review. Sorry I had to walk all over you like this but the people on this forum need to know that they have a choice and the information is out there for them. Your knowledge about TV's is a little outdated. :eek:

Cheers...
  15. Warbladex

Warbladex ASTRO Alumni

I'm actually a big fan of plasma TVs mainly for the better contrast ratio you get with them, and the pricing.

Also, a "shelf-life" of 60,000 hours is still pretty significant (while most Plasma TV makers also tout a 100,000 hours too). If you had it on 24/7, that still equals out to almost 7 years. Being that the average american watches about 4 hours of TV a day, that means it would last 41 years. =P Even if you watched 8 hours of TV it's 20 years.

What's the most interesting, is that it's not really a 'shelf-life" that they're stating either as a company. It's how long until it's at about half the brightness. Sure, you can get things like burn-in or other things before the end of 100,000 hours range, but the actual gases that make the colors and brightness work are rated to run atleast that long.
  16. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

Actually we are both wrong in that respect. Of course I should have called my buddy first. I guess that's why I don't give reviews. My friend quoted me this...
  17. Steggy

Steggy ASTRO Private

I'm saying your knowledge of plasma's is outdated because you are naming dated problems plasma's have had. I don't call your experience with TV's into question like you have been trying to do with me, though your friend seems to be doing most of the talking for you. More current plasmas have tested at even 100,000 hours, which is a considerable amount, but even with your figures, the average LCD lasts about 7 years if you leave it on 24/7(figure reached from manufacturers' given panel lifes), so they seem to be on par with each other, no? I don't get how posting information makes me seem arrogant, I've done my homework on TV's quite a bit, and don't say things just to say them. The faults you are finding with plasmas are dated ones, that's all I'm saying, and all I've said in the beginning was that I personally think LED's are overpriced right now, and you seem to agree that they are highly priced, but you said it yourself you don't want to wait long enough for the prices to drop, but now you seem to be on a rampage against plasmas for no particular reason.
  18. AcIdC0R3

AcIdC0R3 ASTRO Private

We have seemed to reach a misunderstanding. All I'm saying is don't let size, price or anything else stop you in ones understanding of television. If a group of people wish to pay more money for a large screen (this is where we first started) than say a 22" screen don't let common words of one forum mislead you. As for my friend, yes he knows quiet a bit more than I do as he is one of the people that took part in the design of the LED technology for televisions. If I don't know the answer to a question about a television I go to him because he will know without a doubt. Steggy don't fool these people into thinking that a small screen is the only way to go. A lot of young people without any knowledge of TV's come on here looking for answers. Give them the option to go out and choose for themselves. nuff said...

EDIT: Anybody that wants a little knowledge in LED vs Plasma televisions, my friend recommends you read THIS site to become better acquainted with the technology.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  19. Steggy

Steggy ASTRO Private

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about now. I'm not trying to fool anyone. You haven't really been able to rebut any of my arguments, and even that link you just posted is proving me right. I was mentioning size earlier because in GAMING, displays in the 22" range perform better in respect to input lag. LCD/LED, they all have input lags, and monitors in that size range usually clock in at low numbers which is what you want when gaming. There are of course other displays you could look at when looking for something for TV/movie watching, but this is a predominantly gaming oriented website.
  20. Alpha I Omega

saying you can notice a 8ms lag is saying you can see shit slo mo...sorry dude it doesnt work that way...if it were a 100ms lag or something yeah sure...but not a 1-16ms lag...get real