1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A50 GEN3 optical out port? Watch on tv?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Derrick Diaz, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Derrick Diaz

Derrick Diaz ASTRO Private

hello guys,

I would love to somehow use my a50 headset for my tv and not just when I'm using my xbox one?

And what is this optical out port for and how do I use it?

Thanks guys
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey Derrick,

The optical output is a pass-through for if you want to place the A50 Wireless and Base Station in between a home theatre system such as the below.

Xbox One > A50 Base Station > Home Theatre System.

If you want to hear audio from your TV, then look for an optical output on the back of the TV and run an optical cable from this to your base station. That will guarantee you two channel audio which is fine for most programs. If you are using a satellite or cable box, this should also have an optical output and would be better to connect to as you will be able to hear surround sound audio if the program is encoded with Dolby Digital.

- Mitch
  3. Derrick Diaz

I tried some setup. Can you give me a hand ill tell you my current setup and products i have

Tv: Sony XBR55X930D
    Soundbar: Sony HT-NT5

I currently run everything pass-through the HDMI port and the sound bar has hdmi inputs built in so I have my XB1S plugged into that by hdmi.

My Astro A50 Gen 3 headset is wired fiber optic directly from base station (optical in) to the xb1s.

Okay so to get this to work what goes into what port to get this to work since? Can you please be specific(like optical in/out) please im a noobie at this stuff

Thank You much Mitch big help here
  4. MoLarryCurly

MoLarryCurly ASTRO Private

Does the Sony TV have an optical port? If yes, try connecting the base station to the TV using the optical port. Most of the newer smart TV optical ports will pass 5.1 Dolby Digital.
  5. Joe Sonnier

Joe Sonnier ASTRO Private

I have the same question...currently I have to switch optical cords to the optical in on the base station from my XB1 and cable box. I would rather not have to unplug and replug in the optical cords when I want to switch. It does not work if I plug in the optical cord from my cable boc to the optical pass through (optical out) on my base station...
  6. Heem

Heem ASTRO Private

Run your cable box thru your xbox. And you can use your heaser for both.
  7. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Derrick,

It may be tricky because of the sound bar having the control over the audio.

What device are you watching TV programming from or is it over the air content coming straight to your TV?

- Mitch
  8. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Joe,

The optical output can't be used to hear audio. The easiest way would be as above by connecting the cable box to the HDMI input on your Xbox One and when you switch to TV on your Xbox One, it will automatically output the audio to your headset.

- Mitch
    Heem likes this.
  9. Derrick Diaz

Mitch,

I cant get the headset to work without switching cables
    I watch tv from the built in TV apps (Android TV)
    I dont use a cable box or own.

xbox one> base station
    &
    Tv > base station

These setups are the only way it works for me

I cant get it to work without switching I give up!
  10. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Derrick Diaz,

That would be the way to do it. You can only hear audio device you're connecting it to so in the case of the TV; you would only be able to hear sound from it by connecting an optical cable from the TV to the A50 Base Station. Because of the sound bar having control over the audio from the Xbox One, you would need to switch the optical cable back.

To make it easier, you could purchase an additional optical cable and just switch between the two at the rear of the A50 Base Station.

- Mitch
  11. Jatorr

Jatorr ASTRO Private

12. ASTRO Vertigo

Hey Jatorr,

Sure. Those can be used and is similar to the setup I use. I have an 18G HDMI switch which allows me to connect everything to my TV easier and this first routes through an HDMI audio extractor which splits an optical output for my A50 Wireless and Base Station. This lets me hear any audio from the source that I have showing on my TV.

Just be careful as some HDMI switches and audio extractors will not pass HDR correctly if this is something you intend to use.

- Mitch