1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Mixamp Pro vs "Mixamp TR"

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by TheZeus, Dec 22, 2016.

1. TheZeus

TheZeus ASTRO Private

G'day

I was shopping around for a new mixamp (my current 2013 mixamp pro is on it's last leg) and I came across the 2015 Mixamp Pro and the "Mixamp TR". The latter is somewhat more expensive.

I've searched around but I can't seem to find any information on the differences between the two products. If anyone could point these out, and perhaps help me decide which one to buy, I would greatly appreciate it.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about I'll link the two products from an Australian retailer

Mixamp Pro 2015:
    https://gamestate.net.au/collections/frontpage/products/astro-mixamp-pro-2015

Mixamp TR:
    https://gamestate.net.au/collections/mixamps/products/astro-mixamp-tr-black-for-ps4-ps3-pc-mac
  2. ASTRO Vertigo

ASTRO Vertigo Social Media Team Staff Member

Hey TheZeus,

The MixAmp Pro 2015 is an unofficial name. It's actually a GEN2 product which was released in 2014/2015 but originally released in 2013. Our MixAmp Pro TR released in November 2015 and is our newest version.

Concerning differences, there are a few but here are the main.

For basic functionality, the MixAmp Pro GEN2 and TR are pretty identical and will give you Dolby Digital 7.1 Surround Sound while having the ability to adjust your master volume and balance between game and voice audio using the two dials on the front. They both contain EQ presets. The difference here is that the MixAmp Pro TR is fully digital which will provide you with cleaner audio to the headset and less white noise and the EQ presets are customizable.

The MixAmp Pro GEN2 contains a stream output which includes all of the audio you can hear including your microphone for outputting to a capture card. The TR also includes one, but it's fully customizable so you can adjust how loud each audio source is independently from your own.

The MixAmp Pro GEN2 contains an MP3 input for connecting a smartphone for listening to music. The TR contains an AUX input which works exactly the same although if you buy a TRRS cable, you can use the microphone from your headset to make a phone call on your smartphone.

The MixAmp Pro TR being fully digital has a sound card built in for PC usage so one USB cable to your PC gives you everything you need to hear surround sound game audio and use all the other functionality such as the mixer. The ASTRO Command Center software can be used to customise the MixAmp Pro TR further by not only adjusting the EQ and Stream Port but also your microphone settings.

- Mitch
  3. TheZeus

TheZeus ASTRO Private

Would you recommend the TR or the GEN2 for a PC gamer? I'm using an Audio Technica ATH-AG1 as my headset