PDA

View Full Version : Mixamp Help. Turning on Dolby Headphones makes it sound distant/hollow.

Madman340
11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Alright I have the headphones now, and I think something might be wrong with the Mixamp. When I turn on Dolby Headphone the sound becomes distant, "hollow", and feels fuzzy. It does not facilitate positioning enemies very well at all. Compared to my Turtle Beach X11s, well, they simply aren't comparable... The TBs give me rather good positioning, whereas I can't tell very much with the Mixamp. I've tried the Mixamp with different headphones, and they all do have that distant hollow feel to them.

To people with Mixamps, does this sound familiar at all? If I turn off Dolby Headphones it works fine in stereo, but obviously as I'm on the 360 stereo is not good for positioning.

ASTRO Vertigo
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Madman340,

Is Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled on your Xbox 360? and what game are you testing?

- Mitchell

Madman340
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Madman340,

Is Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled on your Xbox 360? and what game are you testing?

- Mitchell

Yes it is enabled. (Dolby Digital 5.1 that is) I'm playing MW2. Also, as I said I'm not using an optical cable, I'm using the RCA left and right. Is that the problem here? I need to use optical for Dolby Headphone?

ASTRO Vertigo
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Absolutely.

When you connect the RCA Cables to your MixAmp Pro, you're not gaining anything but stereo. When you activate Dolby, we use a technology called Dolby Pro Logic which allows us to simulate a surround sound environment. Some users prefer this and some don't which is why we give you the option to add processing or leave it purely stereo.

I would suggest to connect your MixAmp Pro to the Xbox 360 via the TOSLINK Optical Cable. That will allow you to gain Dolby Digital 5.1 and true pinpoint accurate surround sound.

- Mitchell

Eat
11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Alright I have the headphones now, and I think something might be wrong with the Mixamp. When I turn on Dolby Headphone the sound becomes distant, "hollow", and feels fuzzy. It does not facilitate positioning enemies very well at all. Compared to my Turtle Beach X11s, well, they simply aren't comparable... The TBs give me rather good positioning, whereas I can't tell very much with the Mixamp. I've tried the Mixamp with different headphones, and they all do have that distant hollow feel to them.

To people with Mixamps, does this sound familiar at all? If I turn off Dolby Headphones it works fine in stereo, but obviously as I'm on the 360 stereo is not good for positioning.

I had the exact same symptoms you describe. A tell was that my mixamp rattled.

Replaced the mixamp and it solved the hollow distant sound. Still sounds kinda distant and soundscape is pathetic compared to a proper set of cans, but it is a complete gaming solution. An overpriced one, but complete none the less.