PDA

View Full Version : Am I able to use Astros?

WannaCmyVan
07-07-2010, 01:36 PM
So I just got Astro A40 with mixamp (No extra stuff, just the standard).
Anyways, I have an "odd" gaming set-up and i'm not sure if I am able to use the Astros in them.

I use an "Acer H233H 23" " computer monitor. I hooked it up to my xbox via a HDMI cable (Not component).
So will I be able to use the Astro A40 w/ mix-amp, with my current set-up?

If you have any questions about my set-up, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Warbladex
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't believe your Acer monitor has any audio out (Besides the built in speakers?), so no, you wouldn't be able to receive sound from the xbox to the MixAmp, as there's no RCA or Optical connection (since you're using a HDMI cable). You could do one of two things. One is buy the Microsoft Audio Dongle that plugs into the back of the Xbox and run an optical cable (would need to be purchased) or the RCA cables to the MixAmp (though RCA only provides stereo to Dolby ProLogic ][ sound, resulting in a simulated 4 channel sound).

The other option is taking your normal Component Xbox 360 cable, and cracking open the case housing. I've had several friends do this with no ill affects. Check this link (http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50)for a good tutorial.

-ASTRO Warblade

WannaCmyVan
07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
The only thing is that the monitor doesn't have any inputs/outputs for component cables. So I don't think I would be able to use the Astros.

Warbladex
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
But it has other outputs for sound?

hybrid
07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
You are saying you want to play in HDMI and still have the mixamp. You can do this by taking the plastic shell off the component cable base and that makes it have enough room for both. You plug the component cables into the Mixamp component cables and DO NOT plug them into your TV. As long as you don't have the new xbox360 Slim this should work. If you are using the new xbox360 Slim use the optical cord to you mixamp.

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qvDJR3ve8 from 1:20 to 2:00 and you should get what I am saying.

SocksWthSandals
07-08-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Audio-Dongle-Adapter/dp/B003C3R9GK idk why this wasnt suggested yet. you can get the xbox 360 dongle which you can just plug a toslink cable into and get true 5.1 and still use your hdmi cable.

Steggy
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Audio-Dongle-Adapter/dp/B003C3R9GK idk why this wasnt suggested yet. you can get the xbox 360 dongle which you can just plug a toslink cable into and get true 5.1 and still use your hdmi cable.

That was the first suggestion Warblade had made. The link Socks gave would probably be the way to go since it includes the HDMI cable so it should have a small enough footprint where you can plug in the 2 plugs with room to spare, where as if you buy a separate hdmi cable, if you pick one that's too fat it might not have enough room with the optical adapter. As for the free way ha, the cracking open of the component cables to plug it in, the method definitely works. I use it myself, but I get annoyed from the extra wires dangling as a result, and with my HDMI cable, the fit is really tight and the hdmi cable/component cable sort of push away from each other. Hasn't done anything bad to the system for the year I've had it in place, but it just worries me personally haha.

SocksWthSandals
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
That was the first suggestion Warblade had made. The link Socks gave would probably be the way to go since it includes the HDMI cable so it should have a small enough footprint where you can plug in the 2 plugs with room to spare, where as if you buy a separate hdmi cable, if you pick one that's too fat it might not have enough room with the optical adapter. As for the free way ha, the cracking open of the component cables to plug it in, the method definitely works. I use it myself, but I get annoyed from the extra wires dangling as a result, and with my HDMI cable, the fit is really tight and the hdmi cable/component cable sort of push away from each other. Hasn't done anything bad to the system for the year I've had it in place, but it just worries me personally haha.

oh i didnt read all of warblades post

Warbladex
07-08-2010, 10:40 PM
oh i didnt read all of warblades post
LOL, you never do. =P

SocksWthSandals
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
LOL, you never do. =P

well i read a little, but when someone writes a book i usually just read the first sentence and the last few words of the post :) saves more time that way. plus thats what you guys are here for anyway, is to tell me when i give someone a suggestion but its already been suggested. you guys would have nothing to do without me :)